Are the uds particle wavefunctions correct in explaining the particle octet?

• Thread starter lark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise in a book about the particle octet and the wavefunctions for uds particles. The participants also mention the color theory and how quarks follow effective Bose statistics. There is a discussion about the symmetry and spin states of different particles, including the Lambda, Sigma, and uds particles. The importance of both quark composition and spin state in distinguishing particles is also mentioned.
lark
I'm interested in comments on thishttp://camoo.freeshell.org/25.6.gif" .
I tried to upload it to the forum but apparently that doesn't work well with .gifs.
It's an exercise in a book asking you to explain the particle octet, why there aren't uuu, ddd and sss spin 1/2 particles, there are 1 each of uud, uss, etc. etc., and 2 types of uds particles. I'm wondering whether I got the wavefunctions for the uds particles right. I was just guessing, came up with something nice and symmetrical that looks right, but I don't know if there's a way to tell if it is right.
Yes, I know that according to the color theory, the quarks aren't actually following boson statistics. This exercise was before that was explained in the book, all we were told was that the quarks are acting like bosons.
Laura

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did not follow all your reasoning, I would just simply state that the only totaly symmetric state with respect to two particle interchange in 3quark system is if you have all three quark spins in the same direction, which gives you S = 3/2

Are you using "Particle Physics" by Martin & Shaw ?

The wave function of uds will just be the total antisymmetric wave function when you couple 3 spin 1/2 particles. I.e you can first couple u & d to S = 1 or 0.
Then you couple the s quark to S = 1 to get S_tot = 3/2 or 1/2.
Or you couple the s quark to S = 0 to get S_tot = 1/2.
i.e You'll get three such states for uds

Quarks are in a completely asymmetric color state, so what they follow, if color is not explicit, is effective Bose statistics. This could be called "quark statistics".
For 6 of the octet, two quarks are the same, and must be in the symmetric spin one state. Coupling this spin one to spin 1/2 gives either 1/2 or 3/2.
The decuplet arises because the 3 uuu type states and the uds can be included with the other 6. Since the spin 1/2 state is not completely symmetric, it can't be coupled with states like uuu.
The 8 octet states include 2 uds states. That is because the ud pairing can be in either spin one or spin zero.
The two uds spin functions are [tex][aba-baa]/\sqrt{2}[/tex] for the Lambda, and
[tex][2aab-aba-baa]/\sqrt{6}[/tex] for the Sigma zero.

pam said:
For 6 of the octet, two quarks are the same, and must be in the symmetric spin one state. Coupling this spin one to spin 1/2 gives either 1/2 or 3/2.
The 8 octet states include 2 uds states. That is because the ud pairing can be in either spin one or spin zero.
The two uds spin functions are [tex][aba-baa]/\sqrt{2}[/tex] for the Lambda, and
[tex][2aab-aba-baa]/\sqrt{6}[/tex] for the Sigma zero.
It sounds like I got the basic idea of the spin states for the proton, neutron, etc. right, but my guess about the 2 possible uds particles was maybe too symmetric to be right. The two states I thought might be the particles are the complex conjugate of each other, at least if you're ignoring anything besides spin.
I mean, you have this vector space of dimension 2 containing 3 possible spin 1/2 states for uds, and I wasn't sure how you decide which vectors are the "particles"? You make a Hamiltonian for the vector space and you find 2 eigenvectors, and they have different eigenvalues, and you go "Aha, those are the particles?"
I think deciding which state vectors correspond to particles is something we don't know how to do yet in the book, there's been no explanation of flavor symmetry and that would be involved.
I'm reading the Penrose book "The Road to Reality" supplemented by outside looking around when an exercise puzzles me.
Laura

Last edited:
The Sigma zero spin state should be the same as the Sigma plus.

pam said:
The Sigma zero spin state should be the same as the Sigma plus.
I see. So the particles that have the same letter have the same spin state, if symmetrized right? Then the [tex]\Lambda^0[/tex] is orthogonal to the [tex]\Sigma^0[/tex]. Seems like the spins are considered more important to what the particle "is" than the quark composition.
Laura

They play an equal role. If two particles have the same quark composition, then spin state distinguishes them.

1. What is a particle octet?

A particle octet refers to a group of eight elementary particles that are organized into a specific pattern based on their properties. These particles are part of the Standard Model of particle physics and are divided into two groups: the quark octet and the lepton octet.

2. What are the particles included in a particle octet?

The particles included in a particle octet are six quarks (up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom) and two leptons (electron and electron neutrino). These particles are organized into a specific pattern based on their charges and other properties.

3. What is the significance of a particle octet in particle physics?

The particle octet is significant because it helps to explain the properties and interactions of quarks and leptons. It also helps to predict the existence of other particles, such as the top quark and tau lepton, which were later discovered through experiments.

4. How are the particles in a particle octet related to each other?

The particles in a particle octet are related through their interactions with each other. For example, quarks interact with each other through the strong force, while leptons interact through the weak force. This relationship allows for the exchange of particles and the creation of new particles through these interactions.

5. Can particles move between different particle octets?

No, particles cannot move between different particle octets. Each particle has a specific set of properties that determine its placement in a particular octet, and these properties cannot be changed or transferred to another particle. However, particles can transform into different types through interactions with other particles, as seen in processes like particle decay.