1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle octet

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    Would anyone like to tell me if I did this right? see attached .gif. It's an exercise in a book I'm reading, about explaining why there aren't any spin 1/2 particles with uuu, ddd, or sss quarks, 1 each of uud, uus, etc., and 2 of uds quarks: the particle octet.
    Laura

Attached Files:

• 25.6.gif
      25.6.gif
      File size:
      113.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2

pam

I can't make out the thumbnail or make sense of it.
    You can't have three u quarks in a spin 1/2 state, because the spin 1/2 state has mixed symmetry, and only purely symmetric states are allowed for three identical quarks in a completely symmetric spatial state.

4. Apr 24, 2008 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first statement makes no sense. You say that quarks follow Bose statistics even though they are fermions!!!:yuck:

Of course they follow Fermi-Dirac statistics!!
    But it's a bit complicated because the total wavefunction has a spin dependence, a spatial dependence but a colour dependence as well. All this must be taken into account.

5. Apr 24, 2008 #4

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?