1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle physics - calculate the synchrotron energy loss

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the year 2000, the highest energy beams at LEP were achieved, at E = 104.5GeV.

a) Calculate how much larger was the synchrotron energy loss at this energy, relative to the synchrotron energy loss at E = 45.1GeV

2. Relevant equations

E[tex]_{loss}[/tex] = (E/m)^4 x [tex]\frac{1}{R}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I'm sure my value is WAY too low, and I'm not sure why, I missed the lecture where this was explained so I have no clue at the moment!

I took E = 105.4 x 10^9eV
    I took m = 4.59 x 10^22eV
    And r is equal to 4300m.

Ok, so I think I am using the wrong value for mass. I assume I should be using the mass of the electron?
    When I entered in 9.11x10^-31kg, then I was unable to work out the brackets to the power of 4. I looked on wikipedia, and it had the value for it in Mev/c^2. So I multiplied that value by c^2 and converted it into eV. I don't know if this is where I went wrong?

The answer I go by doing the above is:

5.284 x 10^-16eV.

Which I think is too low? But I'm not sure?

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?