[particle physics] Decay of baryon

In summary, the reaction of Delta+ to proton+pi0 is possible without breaking any conservation law. It can occur through all three interactions (strong, electromagnetic, and weak), but the dominant one is through the strong force. The diagram for this reaction involves a single gluon and is the lowest order possible.
nonequilibrium

Homework Statement

Are the following reactions possible? If yes, explain why and how the reaction occurs. If no, explain why.

[itex]\Delta^+ \to p^+ + \pi^0[/itex]"

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, it wouldn't break any conservation law, hence it is possible (or is this reasoning faulty? In other words is there an example of something not breaking any conservation law, even kinematically, yet not happening since it has no possible Feynman diagram?)

Now, although I'm sure it's possible, I'm not sure what to answer on "how the reaction occurs": am I right in thinking that it is possible through all three interactions? (strong, electromagnetic, weak)

I can think of two sensible things to answer: either list all possible reactions, or list the dominant one (always the strong force when possible via that interaction?). Which of the two is most sensible? And to specifically describe that strong interaction, I would draw the following beautiful picture
attachment.php?attachmentid=47730&stc=1&d=1338239807.gif

Is this correct? And is it also of lowest order, or am I overlooking something simpler? (am I right in thinking that I can NOT leave out the second gluon, cause otherwise that branch on the right hand side would be detached from the other branch, which is not allowed (?))

EDIT: on second thought, the first gluon seems superfluous?

Attachments

• decay.gif
    decay.gif
    7 KB · Views: 648
Physics news on Phys.org
mr. vodka said:
EDIT: on second thought, the first gluon seems superfluous?

Yes, it is. The single gluon diagram is dominant.

1. What is a baryon?

A baryon is a type of subatomic particle that is composed of three quarks. Examples of baryons include protons and neutrons, which make up the atomic nucleus.

2. What is the decay of a baryon?

The decay of a baryon refers to the process in which a baryon particle transforms into other particles through the emission of various particles, such as photons or other baryons.

3. Why do baryons decay?

Baryons decay in order to become more stable. Some baryons are considered to be unstable and will eventually decay into more stable particles in order to achieve a lower energy state.

4. How is the decay of baryons studied?

The decay of baryons is studied through high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), which can recreate the conditions of the early universe and produce a large number of baryon decays for analysis.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying baryon decay?

Studying baryon decay can provide insight into the fundamental building blocks of the universe and help us understand the processes that occurred in the early universe. It can also have practical applications in fields such as medical imaging and nuclear energy. Additionally, the technology developed for studying baryon decay has led to advancements in areas such as particle detectors and accelerators.