Particle Physics help (urgent, deadline soon)

In summary, the magnetic field required to maintain protons at 7TeV in the LHC at CERN is 0.867 Teslas. The LHC has a circumference of 27 km, so the magnetic field required is smaller than this.
Wesley Strik

Homework Statement

Estimate the magnetic field required to maintain protons at 7TeV in the LHC at CERN. The LHC has a circumference of 27 km. State any assumptions or approximations you make.

Homework Equations

lorentz force, assuming magnetic field is always perpendicular to the direction of motion: F=qvB (q=charge of the proton) such that we can use the
Formula for centripetal force: F=1/r mv^2
---equating the two yields the cyclotron formula: B=mv/qr
relate momentum to mass velocity: p=mv then
B=p/qr is the equation we need ( I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not completely sure as how to use the 7TeV energy given, this probably includes mass so I use the equation: E=p^2+M^2 assuming c=1 and all units are as such. I immediately notice that the mass of the proton is 938 MeV, this is a negligible amount compared to the 7TeV, so I suggest we just ignore the mass of the proton for this problem and treat all energy as kinetic energy such that: B=p/qr=(7* (5.36 x 10^-16 )kg m /s)/[(1.6022*10^-19 C)(27 * 10^3 m)]=0.867Teslas.

Am I making any mistakes here or do you guys get similar answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wesley Strik said:

Homework Statement

Estimate the magnetic field required to maintain protons at 7TeV in the LHC at CERN. The LHC has a circumference of 27 km. State any assumptions or approximations you make.

Homework Equations

lorentz force, assuming magnetic field is always perpendicular to the direction of motion: F=qvB (q=charge of the proton) such that we can use the
Formula for centripetal force: F=1/r mv^2
---equating the two yields the cyclotron formula: B=mv/qr
relate momentum to mass velocity: p=mv then
B=p/qr is the equation we need ( I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not completely sure as how to use the 7TeV energy given, this probably includes mass so I use the equation: E=p^2+M^2 assuming c=1 and all units are as such. I immediately notice that the mass of the proton is 938 MeV, this is a negligible amount compared to the 7TeV, so I suggest we just ignore the mass of the proton for this problem and treat all energy as kinetic energy such that: B=p/qr=(7* (5.36 x 10^-16 )kg m /s)/[(1.6022*10^-19 C)(27 * 10^3 m)]=0.867Teslas.

Am I making any mistakes here or do you guys get similar answers?

You're off by an order of magnitude according to this article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

At full power, the LHC is supposed to produce 8.3 T

In your calculation of B = p/qr, if r is supposed to be the radius of the collider, then 27 km is stated to be its circumference, not its radius.

ah yeah... reading.. I always suck at that. B=p/qr=(7* (5.36 x 10^-16 )kg m /s)/[(1.6022*10^-19 C)((27/(2 pi) *10^3) m)]=5.449 T does that look better? This is after assuming perfect conditions such as the LHC is perfectly round, the magnetic field is always perpendicular. It gets pretty close to the 8.3 Teslas, but still not very satisfactory tbh.

Last edited:
Just to enlighten me: if everything is in SI units, what is "7" ? and what happened to c=1 ?

[edit] Ah, I should have read 7 TeV/c , shouldn't I ? But did they give you a momentum of 7 TeV/c or did they give you an energy of 7 TeV/c2 ?

I just did that for the Pythagorean equation E^2=p^2+m^2, basically I say everything is energy, just as long as I remember all the units and conversion factors correctly. Well the 7 is because there is 7TeV(/c), not 1TeV(/c), the number behind it is the conversion factor to convert Mev(/c) to regular momentum units of kgm/s. ...SI in particle physics xD... with their microbarns and such

Likes BvU
then perhaps the
so I use the equation: E=p^2+M^2
confused me ?

[edit] found it. Sorry for barging in. Thank you for reminding me...:rolleyes:

should be E^2

I think this one is solved, others also got 5.4ish teslas

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and the interactions between them. It aims to understand the nature of the universe at the smallest scales and is often referred to as high-energy physics.

2. How does particle physics help us understand the universe?

Particle physics helps us understand the universe by providing insights into the fundamental laws and forces that govern the behavior of matter and energy. It also helps us understand the origins of the universe and how it has evolved over time.

3. What are some practical applications of particle physics?

Particle physics has led to numerous practical applications, including medical imaging techniques such as PET scans and MRI machines, as well as advances in cancer treatment. It has also contributed to the development of new materials and technologies, such as semiconductors and nuclear power.

4. What are some current areas of research in particle physics?

Some current areas of research in particle physics include studying the properties of the Higgs boson, investigating the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and searching for new particles beyond the Standard Model. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the fundamental forces of nature and the origins of the universe.

5. How can I learn more about particle physics?

There are various resources available to learn more about particle physics, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures. You can also attend seminars and conferences on the subject, or reach out to experts in the field for guidance. Additionally, many research institutions have public outreach programs that offer educational materials and events related to particle physics.