Exploring the Confusion Behind J=L+S

In summary, I've never really been convinced of the statement that J=L+S. I've always just gone along with it, but I've never seen why this is "right". So I guess now's as good a time as any to ask. I'm thinking about this from a "classical" perspective (which obviously is not correct, but perhaps I can at least show where my doubt comes from), but I'm not convinced that the above formula is a simple product, and not a direct product. The two different operators operate in different spaces, and so, shouldn't it be a direct product? If I express my state function as a 2 component vector e.g. ##\Psi_i (x
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've never really been...convinced...of the statement

$$\bf{J}=\bf{L}+\bf{S}$$

I've always just gone along with it, but I've never seen why this is "right". So I guess now's as good a time as any to ask.

Thinking about this from a "classical" perspective (which obviously is not correct, but perhaps I can at least show where my doubt comes from), if the L stands for the angular momentum of the particle with respect to the center of mass, and the S stands for the angular momentum of the particle "spinning" around (again, obviously not right), then the two should be measured from different coordinate origins (e.g. L measured from the proton in a Hydrogen nucleus if we are looking at the electron, and S is measured from the "center" of the electron). So, I can not motivate the correctness of this statement from naive classical analyses.

Looking at this mathematically (e.g. from the analysis in Ballentine chapter 7), we have that the ##\bf{L}## operators act on the physical space while the ##\bf{S}## operators act on the internal space.

Ballentine then says something along the lines of, the total rotation operator ##e^{in_\alpha J_\alpha }## must be in the form:

$$e^{in_\alpha J_\alpha }=e^{in_\alpha L_\alpha }e^{in_\alpha S_\alpha }$$

From which the statement ##\bf{J}=\bf{L}+\bf{S}## is true if the L's and S's commute. But I'm not convinced that the above formula is a simple product, and not a direct product. The two different operators operate in different spaces, and so, shouldn't it be a direct product? If I express my state function as a 2 component vector e.g. ##\Psi_i (x,t), i=1,2##, for example, the rotation dealing with ##\bf{L}=-i\hbar \bf{x}\times\nabla## must be applied to each component individually, while the rotation dealing with S applies to my 2 component vector as a whole. The whole J=L+S thing doesn't make sense to me taken as an operator equation since L is a differential operator, and S is a matrix. What's the sum of a derivative and a matrix supposed to mean? Unless I am now constructing a 2x2 diagonal matrix for ##\bf{L}##? I'm confused. =/ This has always bothered me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matterwave said:
I've never really been...convinced...of the statement

$$\bf{J}=\bf{L}+\bf{S}$$
The correct form of the equation is
[tex] \hat{\bf{J}} = \hat{\bf{L}}\otimes\hat{\bf{I}} + \hat{\bf{I}}\otimes\hat{\bf{S}}[/tex]
where the [itex]\hat{\bf{L}}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\bf{S}}[/itex] generate rotations in different subspaces.

And so should there be a direct product in:

$$e^{i\theta_\alpha J_\alpha}=e^{i\theta_\alpha L_\alpha}\otimes e^{i\theta_\alpha S_\alpha}$$

?

Yes, mathematically (and intuitively), there should be a direct product.
I would suggest Modern Quantum Mechanics, J.J. Sakurai, section 3.7 for further reading.
Edit:
There is a little discrepancy in the exponential operators. Please check Sakurai.

Matterwave said:
And so should there be a direct product in:

$$e^{i\theta_\alpha J_\alpha}=e^{i\theta_\alpha L_\alpha}\otimes e^{i\theta_\alpha S_\alpha}$$

?

Well, something like this:

$$e^{i\theta_\alpha J_\alpha}=e^{i\theta_\alpha L_\alpha}\otimes \hat{1} + \hat{1}\otimes e^{i\theta_\alpha S_\alpha}$$

dextercioby said:
Well, something like this:

$$e^{i\theta_\alpha J_\alpha}=e^{i\theta_\alpha L_\alpha}\otimes \hat{1} + \hat{1}\otimes e^{i\theta_\alpha S_\alpha}$$

Ah, that's helpful, thanks.

The infinitesimal rotation operator that affects the Hilbert space (made from tensor product of position space and spin space) is
[tex]
\hat{I}-\frac{i(\hat{\bf{L}}\otimes\hat{I}_2+\hat{I}_1\otimes\hat{\bf{S}}).\bf{n} d\theta}{\hbar} =\left(\hat{I}_1-\frac{i\hat{\bf{L}}.\bf{n} d\theta}{\hbar}\right)\otimes\left(\hat{I}_2-\frac{i\hat{\bf{S}}.\bf{n} d\theta}{\hbar}\right).
[/tex]

For a fine angle rotation, the equation takes the form
[tex]
\exp\left(\frac{-i\hat{\bf{J}}.\bf{n} \theta}{\hbar}\right)=\exp\left(\frac{-i\hat{\bf{L}}.\bf{n} \theta}{\hbar}\right)\otimes\exp\left(\frac{-i\hat{\bf{S}}.\bf{n} \theta}{\hbar}\right).
[/tex]

Uh...isn't that what I had in post #3?

well of course there is a direct product, since we are talking about operators on the exponentials...

Matterwave said:
Uh...isn't that what I had in post #3?

Yes you were right (I am sorry for creating the confusion). It was that you wrote the rotation operator as [itex]e^{in_\alpha J_\alpha}[/itex] in the first post and then you changed it to [itex]e^{i\theta_\alpha J_\alpha}[/itex].

Ravi Mohan said:
Yes you were right (I am sorry for creating the confusion). It was that you wrote the rotation operator as [itex]e^{in_\alpha J_\alpha}[/itex] in the first post and then you changed it to [itex]e^{i\theta_\alpha J_\alpha}[/itex].

Indeed, I changed notations around and did not explain them. I get your point.

But the direct product of the two exponentials look a little different than what Dexter wrote, or are they equivalent?

Yes. They are equivalent. The exponential operators, that dextercioby mentions, give superimposition of the separate rotations in position and spin space. This is the same rotation which [itex]\hat{\bf{J}}[/itex] generates in whole of position [itex]\otimes[/itex] spin space.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of J=L+S?

The concept of J=L+S refers to the confusion surrounding the relationship between job satisfaction (J), loyalty (L), and stress (S) in the workplace. It is often debated whether job satisfaction leads to loyalty or if high levels of stress can diminish both job satisfaction and loyalty.

2. Is there a clear answer to the confusion behind J=L+S?

No, there is no clear answer to this question as it is a complex issue that can vary depending on individual circumstances and perspectives. Different research studies have provided conflicting results, making it difficult to determine a definitive answer.

3. How does job satisfaction affect loyalty?

There is evidence that suggests job satisfaction can positively impact loyalty. When employees are happy and fulfilled in their jobs, they are more likely to feel a sense of commitment and loyalty to the organization. However, this relationship may be influenced by other factors such as job security and career advancement opportunities.

4. Can high levels of stress lead to decreased job satisfaction and loyalty?

Yes, high levels of stress can lead to decreased job satisfaction and loyalty. When employees are under a lot of stress, they may feel overwhelmed and dissatisfied with their job, leading to a decrease in loyalty towards the organization. This can also result in a higher turnover rate and lower productivity.

5. How can organizations address the confusion behind J=L+S?

Organizations can address this confusion by prioritizing employee well-being and creating a positive work environment. This can include offering support and resources for managing stress, providing opportunities for career growth and development, and actively seeking and addressing employee feedback. Additionally, conducting regular research and surveys can help organizations gain a better understanding of the relationship between job satisfaction and loyalty within their specific workplace.