What math courses should I take for a career in high energy physics?

In summary: They'll be able to guide you better than random people on the internet.In summary, for a better understanding of the mathematics governing particle physics, it is recommended to have a good grasp on linear algebra, abstract algebra, group theory, and numerical analysis. A solid background in physics, including modern physics, E&M, theoretical mechanics, and QM, is also necessary. While additional math classes may be helpful, they are not essential for pursuing high energy physics. It is best to consult with physics professors for guidance on specific courses to take.
shekler
Any suggestions on text which could better my understanding of the mathematics governing particle physics? I am in my fourth year of my B.A.Sc. engineering physics degree, so I have a fairly strong math background as is.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
shekler said:
Any suggestions on text which could better my understanding of the mathematics governing particle physics? I am in my fourth year of my B.A.Sc. engineering physics degree, so I have a fairly strong math background as is.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think an engineering background is enough math for particle physics. From my understanding, a lot of particle physics is modeled on gauge theories and the SU(n) objects. I know a lot of Lie Algebras are used.

For particle physics you want to understand the representation theory of compact matrix Lie groups, in particular SU(N) and how particle multiplets fall into their representations such as the singlet, fundamental and adjoint representations. Understand how to obtain higher dimensional representations from the fundamental representation using the tensor method.

For physics books, have a look at Cheng and Li which talks about the tensor method and Young tableux. For pure maths check out Wu-Ki Tung Group theory in physics. There is also a GTM book by Brian Hall on Lie groups.

Edit: Of course, you should already know all about the Dirac equation and quantum field theory first.

Last edited:
I'm going to disagree with the above two posts. While Lie groups play an important role in particle physics, actually doing a calculation requiring deep understanding of them is rare and specialized. Somebody did the algebra a long time ago, and now we can just use the results. (A classic example is Clebsch-Gordon coefficients)

I would say that of you have a good solid class on linear algebra - i.e. one that includes basic elements of abstract in it, not just "calculational tricks for solving systems of equations" - you'll know enough.

Hmmmm, I have sort of a similar question. I'm a 2nd year physics undergrad and I was going to double major in math so I wasn't really worried about getting all the math classes in that I need, but upon reviewing how much extra it would cost me to take a 5th year I'm reconsidering. I'm interested in plasma and high energy. I made a thread for what I should take if I wanted to do plasma physics in grad school, but what about high energy? Right now all I will have after this fall is calc 1-3, diff eq, and abstract vector spaces (proofs-based linear algebra class, intro linear algebra was included in calc 2).

JasonJo said:
I don't think an engineering background is enough math for particle physics. From my understanding, a lot of particle physics is modeled on gauge theories and the SU(n) objects. I know a lot of Lie Algebras are used.

I mentioned my engineering physics background to give an idea of my ability to comprehend the math, not to suggest that I know the material already. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Last edited:
I would suggest you need a broad knowledge of topics. If you want to do the computational side of particle physics then you need to have some skill in running numerical calculations, ie. Matlab, ROOT, numerical analysis... etc.

If you are into the theory side then having a working understanding of abstract algebra, group theory, and linear algebra should be sufficient for beginning.

Of course that just covers the maths. You need a lot of physics knowledge before you dive into Particle Physics. A good class on modern physics, E&M, Theo. Mechanics, and maybe also QM will be good for starters

Monocles said:
Hmmmm, I have sort of a similar question. I'm a 2nd year physics undergrad and I was going to double major in math so I wasn't really worried about getting all the math classes in that I need, but upon reviewing how much extra it would cost me to take a 5th year I'm reconsidering. I'm interested in plasma and high energy. I made a thread for what I should take if I wanted to do plasma physics in grad school, but what about high energy? Right now all I will have after this fall is calc 1-3, diff eq, and abstract vector spaces (proofs-based linear algebra class, intro linear algebra was included in calc 2).
You don't need a B.A. in Mathematics to do high energy physics. Sure, it never hurts to take more math classes, but most of what you need you can get from a physics perspective. You don't need much more math than that for your physics degree. Useful additions from the math department might include abstract algebra and complex analysis. Or just talk to the physics profs at your school.

1. What is particle physics mathematics?

Particle physics mathematics is a branch of mathematics that is used to describe and understand the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles. It combines principles from quantum mechanics, relativity, and other mathematical theories to study the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

2. What are some key concepts in particle physics mathematics?

Some key concepts in particle physics mathematics include quantum field theory, group theory, and special relativity. These concepts are used to study the properties and interactions of particles, such as their spin, charge, and mass.

3. How is particle physics mathematics related to the standard model of particle physics?

The standard model of particle physics is a theoretical framework that describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. Particle physics mathematics is used to develop and test the predictions of the standard model, and to explore new theories that may extend or challenge it.

4. What are some applications of particle physics mathematics?

Particle physics mathematics has a wide range of applications, including in the development of new technologies such as particle accelerators and detectors. It is also used in fields such as cosmology, nuclear physics, and medical imaging.

5. How do scientists use particle physics mathematics in their research?

Scientists use particle physics mathematics to develop and test theories, analyze experimental data, and make predictions about the behavior of particles. They also use mathematical models to simulate and visualize the behavior of particles in various scenarios, helping to understand and interpret experimental results.