Particle physics question

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible processes of combining an electron with a positron and an electron with a proton. These processes include the formation of positronium, formation of a hydrogen atom, annihilation of the particles with gamma emission, and elastic scattering. There is some debate about whether elastic scattering can occur in these situations and whether electron and proton annihilation is possible.
neelakash

Homework Statement

Consider the combination of an electron with positron(I) and an electron with proton(II).The possible processes are:

(i)formation in positronium in (I)
(ii)formation in Hydrogen ataom in (II)
(iii)annihilation of each other and gamma emission in (I) and (II) both
(iv)elastic scatterinh in (I) and (II) both

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think all but (iv) may be correct---elastic scattering should not happen...
Please check.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should think a little longer about these, particularly 3 and 4.

Possibly (III) is wrong:I mean e and p cannot annihilate but e and positron can

elastic scattering occurs...?

Electron and positron certainly annihilate producing two 0.511 MeV gammas.

An electron is not annhilated by a proton, but there is a phenomenon called 'electron capture'.

neelakash said:
elastic scattering occurs...?
Typically, the term elastic scattering is used for events where the loss of energy between the scattered particle and the incident particle is small compared to the incident energy. Rutherford scattering, electron/neutron diffraction, etc. are examples of elastic scattering.

What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the smallest building blocks of matter and their interactions. These particles can include subatomic particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, as well as smaller particles like quarks and leptons.

What is the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. It includes three of the four fundamental forces of nature (electromagnetic, weak, and strong) and explains how these forces interact with matter.

What are the current frontiers of particle physics research?

Some of the current frontiers of particle physics research include understanding dark matter and dark energy, studying the properties of neutrinos, and searching for new particles beyond the Standard Model. Scientists are also working on improving our understanding of the Higgs boson and exploring the possibility of extra dimensions.

What are accelerators and how are they used in particle physics?

Accelerators are large machines that use electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles to extremely high energies. These high energy collisions allow scientists to study the properties of particles and the fundamental forces that govern their interactions. Accelerators are essential tools in particle physics research.

What practical applications does particle physics have?

Particle physics research has led to many practical applications, including medical imaging technologies such as PET scans and MRI machines. It has also contributed to the development of new materials and technologies, such as superconductors and computer chips. Additionally, particle accelerators are used in the production of medical isotopes for cancer treatment.