1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Physics textbook

1. Dec 28, 2012 #1
    What is the best particle physics textbook (for a first course in particle physics) for someone with a background of quantum field theory?

P.S. I am interested in theoretical particle physics

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what you mean by <theoretical particle physics>, but as a book you should start with the last chapters of Griffiths text. A solid course on QFT should cover the theoretical aspects of particle physics especially in the chapters on QCD and EW.

There are books out there on the Standard Model of Particles and Interactions, but I can't think of one right now from the top of my head. I'll get back to you on this, if you don't get other reccomendations.

4. Dec 28, 2012 #3
    Use anyone of these
    Perkins, D.H., Introduction to High Energy Physics
    Gottfried, K. & Weisskopf, V., Fundamental Concepts of Particle Physics
    Halzen, F. & Martin, A.D., Quarks & Leptons: A Modern Introduction to Particle Physics

5. Dec 28, 2012 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would recommend Halzen and Martin.
    Perkins is unreliable and G&W too old.
    H&M will bring you up to speed.

6. Dec 28, 2012 #5
    Thank you all for the replies so far. @dextercioby - by "theoretical" I mean not experimental oriented, i.e. not devoted to experimental methods as I heard Perkins does.

@Meir Achuz and n10Newton - thanks, I will consider that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook