Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Physics

1. Jun 24, 2003 #1

LLT

I'm just about to start a piece of research project on particle physics. Can anyone give me some useful ideas and websites containing useful information?

I just want to have a general idea about it.
    Also interesting things that I can do with Particles.

What types of theories are linked to particles physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2003 #2
  4. Jun 24, 2003 #3
    Oh, I think this might help : www.siski.ru hihihhi

5. Jun 24, 2003 #4
  6. Jun 24, 2003 #5
  7. Jun 25, 2003 #6

LLT

I'm thinking of doing something about beta decay and how it's link to particle physics. How can the mass of neutrino be determined?

8. Jun 25, 2003 #7
    They are theorizing that neutrinos have mass due to the fact that less electron neutrinos are being detected then should be. Nuclear fusion from the sun should produce more neutrinos due to the nature of the reaction. Scientist are theorizing that neutrinos are "changing flavor" into muon neutrinos and tau neutrinos by oscillating due to their wave-particle duality quantum-mechainical nature. If you want to detect the electron neutrino deficiency all you need to do is set up a huge-ass container full of scintillator and bury DEEP underground and then donate a large amount of time and money into maintaining it and analyzing the data. But hey, don't let me stop ya

9. Jun 25, 2003 #8

LLT

What determines a Beta Decay as a Beta Plus Decay or Beta Negative Decay?

10. Jun 25, 2003 #9
    A beta negative decay gives off an electron and an electron antineutrino.

A beta positve decay gives off a positron and an electron neutrino.

11. Jun 25, 2003 #10
    So in retrospect I suppose you could create an accelerator with enough juice to create nuclides that beta decay and detect the electrons and neutrinos. Again, neutrinos are very hard to detect. Electrons are a lot easier. You could set up an experiment to detect just the elccrons and through the convervation of energy laws show that the electrons don't account for all the energy of the reaction and that neutrinos are what carries away the missing energy.

But again...it's expensive and complicated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2003
  12. Jun 25, 2003 #11

LLT

I mean, what type of nucleus undergo beta plus decay, what type of nucleus undergo beta minus decay? What determines which decay it undergoes?

13. Jun 25, 2003 #12
    My modern physics class was a while ago. It's hard to remember some of this stuff and you're making look it up...ugh! hehe.

For a nuclide to decay with some certainty, it must be unstable. Uranium 238 is an example. I for one can't remember why certain nuclides undergo different decays. I bet someone in here would be a lot more help.

I have a couple of links that visually explain different decays for you. It's easier to see how the decay process goes.

http://www.nuclides.net/applets/radioactive_decay.htm

http://www.nuclides.net/Applets/about_radioactive_decay.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2003
  14. Jun 25, 2003 #13

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Generally, Nuclei with a neutron excess will undergo b- becay, and nuclei with a neutron
    deficiency will undergo b+ decay.

15. Jun 25, 2003 #14
    THANK YOU! I couldn't remember why until you said something. The anitneutrino release in beta decay follows from a neutron to proton conversion and visa versa in beta positive decay except a neutrino is given off.

16. Jun 25, 2003 #15
    Also, the nucleus must conspire to raise a massive W+ or W- boson, since it is the weak interaction that intermediates the beta decay process. Danged, though, if I can find something short and sweet about this, searching "beta decay".

Last edited: Jun 25, 2003
  17. Jun 25, 2003 #16
    Found a good source.

http://www.egglescliffe.org.uk/physics/particles/parts/parts1.html

Nicely shows the Feynman diagram of a beta decay.

18. Jun 25, 2003 #17
    That's good! I hoped for a bit more on the N -> P + W- vs. P -> N + W+ bit, you know, flip a down-quark flavor or flip an up-quark flavor choice. Thanks. That site is COOL.

19. Jun 26, 2003 #18
    Weak Decay

We are taught that the weak interaction proceeds through an intermediate vector boson, W particle. I think the IVB's are really just matter/antimatter meson pairs and that they are always produced in a pair. I can show how the interaction proceeds without violating any symmetry. However it cannot be done by just using one IVB as is currently the case with the Standard Model. It suggests that there is another mechanism at work behind the so called weak decay. I believe this to be bigbang antineutrinos!! A rather radical proposal but one that can provide the energy, rather than rely on quantum "borrowing" and repaying.

20. Jun 27, 2003 #19
    W and Z particles have been detected at accelerators around the world. They were theorized for their actions before they were found and fit the model pretty damn well if you ask me. Besides antineutrinos are a byproduct of bety decay, not the mediator of it.

21. Jun 30, 2003 #20

LLT

What types of debatable question can be arise due to beta decay?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?