Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Physics

  1. Jul 1, 2010 #1
    Sorry to write a cliché post, but here goes.

    I'm very interested in particle physics, I'm going to be a sophomore at a small university this coming fall. I wanted to know a couple things:

    1. Is there any good particle physics books I could buy/get at a library to start self studying? I have Griffith's Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics which is really good so far. My school doesn't really offer anything what-so-ever on particle physics, which leads me to another point...

    2. Should I transfer to a bigger university with the classes I want to take? My school offers basic courses for the standard branches of physics, but really nothing beyond that. I looked at the other university's course catalog today and saw Advanced QM, Advanced E&M, Intro to Particle Physics, Advanced Particle Physics, Theoretical/Experimental Particle Physics, etc. which all looked like classes which I'd really want to take and would drastically help my future.

    Thanks for the advice!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2010 #2
  4. Jul 6, 2010 #3
    Most particle physics will be learned in grad school. As far as I know, grad schools don't really expect particle physics knowledge from undergrads.
  5. Jul 6, 2010 #4
    Yeah, I think Jack's right. I do particle astrophysics (which is more or less the same thing minus the collider), and I didn't have any particle physics back in undergrad. It's probably better to make sure you know youre E&M, stat mech, and quantum really well. Grad school will teach you the stuff you need to know.
  6. Jul 6, 2010 #5
    This depends on the university, in general particle physics lecture would be either at the end of the undergrad education or beginning of grad, typically due to the required prerequisites.

    I am currently doing a master programme lecture on Particle physics.
    We are following those two books:



    I am not sure what your background knowledge is, hence if you understand Griffiths particle physics book (i.e. you had QM course earlier) then Povh book might be suitable. On the other hand, Perkins is more advanced, and it is advised to use if your instructor does.

    Regarding moving to a bigger uni., you will have to consider the bigger picture, you may want to compare the pros and cons of the available options.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Jul 6, 2010 #6


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    It probably makes a difference whether you're considering graduate programs in the USA or in some other country.
  8. Jul 6, 2010 #7
    Thanks everyone. I'm looking to stay in the country, but am not afraid to leave the country if that's where the best program/best fit for me is.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook