Particle Velocity and Acceleration Equations for Position Function s(t)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time at which the velocity of a particle is zero, given an equation for the particle's position and its derivatives. After deriving the equations for velocity and acceleration, the quadratic formula is used to solve for the time when velocity is zero. The final answer is 4 + - sqrt13/6.
1irishman

Homework Statement

When will the velocity be zero?
t is in minutes
s is in metres

Homework Equations

s = 4t^3 - 8t^2 + t - 50

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with the velocity equation by taking the derivative of function s.
I came up with the acceleration equation by taking the derivative of the velocity function. I don't know how to figure out(solve) when the velocity of the particle will be zero? Help please?
The velocity at t minutes is given by:
v(t) = 12t^2 - 16t + 1
Acceleration is given by:
a(t) = 24t - 16

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1irishman said:
The velocity at t minutes is given by:
v(t) = 12t^2 - 16t + 1
Looks good. So plug in the value for v and solve the equation for t.

can i use quadratic formula, like this?

t = -b + - sqrt b^2 - 4ac/2a

where a = 12, b = -16, and c = 1 ?

Exactly, that will give you the times at which v(t) = 0

1irishman said:
can i use quadratic formula, like this?

t = -b + - sqrt b^2 - 4ac/2a

where a = 12, b = -16, and c = 1 ?
Yes!

My answer came to be:

t = 16 + - sqrt208/24

but the answer in the back of book is 4 + - sqrt13/6

I am not sure how they got that?

Try simplifying your square root expression more that you already have, and you'll find you have the same answer.

oh yes thank you i see 16*13 = 208

Particle Position Function FAQs

1. What is a particle position function?

A particle position function is a mathematical representation of the position of a particle in space at any given time. It takes into account factors such as velocity and acceleration to determine the exact location of the particle in relation to a reference point.

2. How is a particle position function used?

A particle position function is used in physics and engineering to model and predict the movement of particles, such as atoms or subatomic particles, in a system. It is also used in computer simulations to accurately represent the behavior of particles in virtual environments.

3. What are the variables in a particle position function?

The variables in a particle position function typically include time (t), position (x), velocity (v), and acceleration (a). Other variables may also be included depending on the specific system being modeled.

4. How is a particle position function different from a regular position function?

A regular position function is a mathematical representation of the position of an object in space, while a particle position function specifically refers to the position of a particle in a system. Particle position functions take into account factors such as velocity and acceleration, which may not be present in regular position functions.

5. How can a particle position function be graphed?

A particle position function can be graphed by plotting the position of the particle on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The resulting graph is typically a curve that represents the motion of the particle over time.