1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Position

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A watermelon seed has the following coordinates: x = -8.1 m, y = 8.8 m, and z = 0 m. Find its position vector as (a) a magnitude and (b) an angle relative to the positive direction of the x axis. If the seed is moved to the xyz coordinates (3.3 m, 0 m, 0 m), what is its displacement as (c) a magnitude and (d) an angle relative to the positive direction of the x axis?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a= 11.9 Meters
    b= 133 degrees
    c= 15.2 Meters
    d = ????

How do I find this final angle??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Find the x and y components of the displacement vector and get the angle the usual way.

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    All I have is the magnitude of the displacement vector. I know I need to find the x and y components of it, but how do I do that without at least having one of the angles? Or do i already have it??

5. Sep 15, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the coordinates of two points. The displacement is a vector whose components is the difference finish - start, (x2-x1, y2-y1, z2-z1)

6. Sep 16, 2009 #5
    so my displacement vector's components are (11.4, -8.8, 0)? So the angle would be inverse tan of (-8.8/11.4)?

7. Sep 16, 2009 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct.

8. Sep 16, 2009 #7
    the angle I get from that calculation is -37.67..Now it says it wants an angle relative to the positive direction of the x-axis. Would that be it, or do I have to subtract that number from something else?

9. Sep 16, 2009 #8

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw the point on a sheet of paper. Connect it with a straight line to the origin. Then look at the angle that starts on the positive x-axis and goes counterclockwise to the line that you have drawn. That's the one you want. What is its relation to 37.67 degrees?

10. Sep 16, 2009 #9
    ok, is it 360-37.67? which is going to be 322.33

11. Sep 16, 2009 #10
    I put in 322.33, and it came out wrong! The correct angle was -37.67..Bummer

12. Sep 16, 2009 #11

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bummer indeed. If this is one of those evil Web-based, calculated type questions like Webassign or Mastering Physics, I think you should explain your answer to your instructor. Chances are he/she will override the machine. I know I would. :wink:

13. Sep 16, 2009 #12
    yea wiley plus..Horrible system!

14. Sep 16, 2009 #13
    thanks anyways for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook