Particle Problem: Work Done on Raindrop by Grav & Air Resistance

• Thread starter chocolatelover
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, when a particle falls from a height h1 to a height h2, the work done by gravity is w=FΔrcosθ.
chocolatelover

Homework Statement

A raindrop of mass 3.07 X 10^-5 kg falls vertically at constant speed under the influence of gravity and air resistance. Model the drop as a particle.

a. As it falls 50m, what is the work done on the raindrop by the gravitational force?

b. What is the work done on the raindrop by air resistance?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Fg=-mgj=(3.07X10^-5)(-9.8m/s^2j)
=-3.0086x10^-4

delta r=?

w=?

Could someone please tell me if this is correct so far and help me find delta r?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by delta r?

Anyway, do you know the work done by gravity when a particle falls from a height h1 to a height h2?

Also, note that the drop is falling at a constant speed. So, the KE is not increasing, but the gravitational PE is decreasing.

Think for a while before rushing back here.

What do you mean by delta r? Δr

Anyway, do you know the work done by gravity when a particle falls from a height h1 to a height h2? I know that w=FΔrcosθ

Also, note that the drop is falling at a constant speed. So, the KE is not increasing, but the gravitational PE is decreasing.

Could you please give me a hint? Is what I did so far correct?

Thank you

chocolatelover said:

Thank you

[tex] \Delta \vec{r} [/tex] is simply the final position minus the initial position so it's simply [tex] -50 m \hat{j} [/tex] (where m here is for meters, it's not the mass). To get the work done by gravity, take the dot product of the force with the vector delta r

(another way of doing is is to take the difference of gravitational potential energy)

Last edited:
chocolatelover said:

I specifically asked about the work done by gravity when a particle falls from a height h1 to a height h2, and you have blindly answered w=FΔrcosθ. To do this problem, you have to say what is the work done in terms of h1 and h2. Look at nrqed's post.

Thank you very much

Could you tell me if this is correct?

a. As it falls 50m, what is the work done on the raindrop by the gravitational force?

Wouldn't this be 0J? Because when it is perpendicular the work is 0, right?

Fg=-mgj=(3.07X10^-5)(-9.8m/s^2)j
=-3.0086X10^-4=-.0003JN

Δr=initial-final

=0mi-50mj
=-50mj

w=(-50mj)(.003jN)
=.015W

Thank you

chocolatelover said:
Could you tell me if this is correct?

Wouldn't this be 0J? Because when it is perpendicular the work is 0, right?

It is not zero. I was not able to understand which is perpendicular to what. Please clarify.

Fg=-mgj=(3.07X10^-5)(-9.8m/s^2)j
=-3.0086X10^-4=-.0003JN

Δr=initial-final

=0mi-50mj
=-50mj

w=(-50mj)(.003jN)
=.015W

If you are taking the initial position to be (0,0), then,
Δr=initial-final = 0j - (-50)j. (What is the m doing there?)

w=(-50mj)(.003jN)
=.015W

This is, in fact, the work done by gravity on the body, although in this particular problem, the force due to resistance is equal to the force of gravity, because the drop is falling at a constant speed. The work done by gravity is dissipated into other forms of energy, mostly heat, due to the frictional force.

Work done by gravity = -(work done by air resistance).

Thank you very much

Regards

1. What is a particle problem?

A particle problem is a type of physics problem that involves the analysis of the motion and forces acting on a single particle, such as an object or a raindrop. It typically involves calculating the forces and work done on the particle in various situations.

2. How is work done on a raindrop by gravity and air resistance calculated?

To calculate the work done on a raindrop by gravity and air resistance, one must first calculate the net force acting on the raindrop. This can be done by summing the forces of gravity and air resistance. The work done can then be calculated by multiplying the net force by the distance traveled by the raindrop.

3. What is the role of air resistance in the work done on a raindrop?

Air resistance plays a significant role in the work done on a raindrop. As the raindrop falls through the air, it experiences a force of air resistance that opposes its motion. This force must be taken into account when calculating the work done on the raindrop.

4. How does the work done on a raindrop change as it falls?

The work done on a raindrop changes as it falls due to the changing forces acting on it. As the raindrop falls, its velocity increases, and so does the force of air resistance. This results in an increase in the work done on the raindrop.

5. Can the work done on a raindrop ever be negative?

Yes, the work done on a raindrop can be negative. This occurs when the force of air resistance is greater than the force of gravity, causing the raindrop to slow down or even move in the opposite direction. In this case, the net force is negative, and so is the work done on the raindrop.