How do particles with the same quark composition achieve different spins?

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarity in quark composition between different particles, such as the Δ0 particle and the proton, despite differences in spin. The possibility of using baryon and meson diagrams to learn the quark constituents of different particles is also mentioned. The concept of coupling three spin 1/2 particles to create a spin 3/2 state is suggested as a possible explanation for the difference in spin despite similar quark composition.
12x4
Doing a bit of revision at the moment and I've been looking at the baryon spin-1/2 octet and the spin 3/2 decuplet. I've noticed that a lot of particles have the same quark composition. For instance the Δ0 particle from the 3/2 ducuplet has the same quark composition as a proton. Now I know that there is a difference in spin but how is this accomplished when the quark composition is the same?

Also, is there a method to learn all of the elementary particles and their quark constituents easily. I was thinking maybe the easiest method is to try and remember the baryon and meason diagrams that I've been talking about and possibly one the particles quark compositions from each diagram. From there I can transverse the diagram and work the rest of the quark compositions out. Or am I missing a trick here and making life harder for myself than it needs to be?

Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
12x4 said:
Now I know that there is a difference in spin but how is this accomplished when the quark composition is the same?
You can couple three spin 1/2 in many different ways. One of those is to make all spins parallel, ie, a spin 3/2 state.

Likes 12x4
Ah I see. Thank you

What is a particle quark composition?

A particle quark composition refers to the combination of quarks and anti-quarks that make up a subatomic particle. These particles are the building blocks of matter and are governed by the strong nuclear force.

How many types of quarks are there?

There are six known types of quarks: up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom. These quarks combine to form different types of particles, such as protons, neutrons, and mesons.

What is the role of quarks in the Standard Model of particle physics?

Quarks are one of the fundamental particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. They are responsible for the strong nuclear force, which holds the nucleus of an atom together. Quarks also interact with other particles through the weak and electromagnetic forces.

What is the difference between quarks and anti-quarks?

Quarks and anti-quarks are identical in mass, but they have opposite charges. While quarks have a positive or negative charge, anti-quarks have an opposite charge. When a quark and an anti-quark combine, they form a meson, which is a type of subatomic particle.

Can quarks exist independently?

No, quarks cannot exist independently due to the strong nuclear force. They are always found in combinations of two or three within subatomic particles. They can also form temporary combinations, known as quark-gluon plasma, in high-energy collisions.