Particle Homework: Figure 1.55 - Identifying Phases & C's Direction

• Thread starter disfused_3289
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the conversation discusses the equilibrium positions of air particles in two diagrams, and raises questions about the identification of particles in phase and the direction of movement for a specific particle. The expert responds by agreeing with the reasoning for part a) and offering a different perspective for part b). They also suggest that there may be missing information or context in the question. Ultimately, the expert encourages the individual to continue their studies.
disfused_3289

Homework Statement

In figure 1.55 diagram I, A, B, C, D, ... are the equilibrium positions of some air particles along an imaginary line XY. Diagram II shows the same particles some time later.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M

Diagram I

A ---- B C D E F ---G ------ -------I J K L ------ M

Diagram II

Figure 1.55

a) Identify the particles in diagram II that are in phase.
b) In which direction will C move immediately after this instant in time.

2. The attempt at a solution

a) I feel that B- F are in phase with I- L as they are both areas of compression representing crests on a transverse wave.

However, the answer says A and M are in phase

b) I feel that C should move right back to the equilibrium position as shown in diagram I, however the answer says C should left.

Any help would be grateful

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I would like to offer my perspective on the questions you have raised.

Firstly, I agree with your reasoning for part a) and I think that B-F and I-L are in phase as they represent areas of compression on the wave. However, I believe that A and M are also in phase as they are both at the equilibrium position and are not experiencing any displacement at that moment in time. Therefore, the correct answer for part a) would be B-F and A-M.

For part b), I think your answer is correct. Since C is at the equilibrium position in diagram II, it should return to its original position in diagram I. This means that it will move to the right, back to its original position. I am not sure why the answer says it should move to the left, as that would mean it is moving away from the equilibrium position. Perhaps there is some other information or context that is missing from the question.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep up the good work in your studies.

Scientist

I would like to clarify that the terms "phase" and "direction" in this context may not be referring to the same concepts as they would in a physics or engineering context. In this diagram, the particles are being used to represent air molecules in a wave. Therefore, the concept of "phase" may refer to the position of the molecules in their oscillation, while "direction" may refer to the direction of the wave's propagation.

To answer the first question, it is important to understand that in a transverse wave, the particles move perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. Therefore, in the given diagram, particles A and M are in phase as they are both at the same point in their oscillation at the same time.

For the second question, it is important to consider the direction of the wave's propagation. In diagram II, the wave is moving from left to right, so particles will move in the same direction as the wave. Therefore, particle C will move left, towards position B, as it is the next point of equilibrium in the wave's propagation.

It is also worth noting that the answer to these questions may vary depending on the specific context and assumptions made in the problem. As a scientist, it is important to critically analyze the given information and make logical conclusions based on scientific principles.

What is the purpose of Figure 1.55 in the Particle Homework?

The purpose of Figure 1.55 is to help identify the phases and direction of particles in a given system. It provides a visual representation of the particles and their movements to aid in understanding their behavior.

What are the different phases represented in Figure 1.55?

The different phases represented in Figure 1.55 are solid, liquid, and gas. These are the most common states of matter that particles can exist in.

How can I determine the direction of the particles in Figure 1.55?

The direction of the particles in Figure 1.55 can be determined by looking at the arrows representing their movement. The direction of the arrow indicates the direction in which the particles are moving.

What is the significance of identifying phases and direction of particles?

Identifying phases and direction of particles is important in understanding the behavior of matter. It can help predict how particles will interact with each other and how the system as a whole will behave.

Are there any other factors that can affect the behavior of particles in a system?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the behavior of particles in a system, such as temperature, pressure, and external forces. These can cause changes in the phases and direction of particles, leading to different outcomes in the system.