1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Representations

1. May 24, 2004 #1
    Does anyone know of any and can comment a good introduction to representaions of elementary particles?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Do you mean group representaions? There's a Dover book by Hammermesh, "Group Theory and its Application to Physical Problems" that takes you through the calculation of the representations.

4. May 24, 2004 #3
    Another title is Howard Georgi's Lie Algebras in Particle Physics. Neither of these books are a quick read, but they are the best intros available.

5. May 25, 2004 #4
  6. May 25, 2004 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Boy are those good notes! I've printed them off, and they're going into a binder for reference. He explains! Tells you why the group multiplication is less useful than conjugation. I've known about those for 50 years and never saw that before.

7. May 27, 2004 #6
    Yes, great notes! I gave a look at Georgi's book and it's very good too. I'll try to find the other in the library.

Thanks for the help.

8. May 27, 2004 #7
    Another book I forgot to mention is Frappat, Sciarrino, and Sorba's Dictionary on Lie Algebras and Superalgebras. The topics are enumerated largely through representations - one of the best books on Lie theory I have come across.

9. May 27, 2004 #8

Janitor

Science Advisor

Back in the early 1980s I worked my way through an introductory book on the topic, Lichtenberg's Unitary Symmetry and Elementary Particles. Whether it is stil in print I wouldn't know.

10. May 28, 2004 #9
    That sounds like a good one. Here is another set of notes:

http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sg/p641.html

"Notes on gauge theory. Probably covered last semester, but may be useful for HW 1"

is the file that covers representation theory most explicitly. It has the clearest exposition of decomposing products of reps into sums using Young tableaux that I have seen anywhere,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?