Solving Particle Roundabout Homework

• Thread starter kilnvzol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the given figure shows 11 particles taking different paths through a uniform magnetic field, with one path being a straight line and the rest being half-circles. The table provides information on the masses, charges, and speeds of these particles. By using the equation r = (mv)/(qB), the relative values of the radius for each particle can be determined. The direction of the particle's path can also indicate whether it is positive or negative, with positive particles curving counter-clockwise and negative particles curving clockwise.
kilnvzol

Homework Statement

The figure shows 11 paths through a region of uniform magnetic field. One path is a straight line; the rest are half-circles. The table gives the masses, charges, and speeds of 11 particles that take these paths through the field in the directions shown. Which path in the figure corresponds to which particle in the table?
hrw7_28-31.gif

image002.gif

Homework Equations

r = (mv)/(qB)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to use that equation to get the answer but I know particle 11 should be k. What tells how big the semi circle is and where it starts?
Please help! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an equation for the radius in terms of m, v, q, and B. The problem gives you m, v, and q. You don't know B, but you can assume that it is the same for all of them. So you should be able to determine the relative values of r for all of the particles. In other words, if two particles have the same m and q, but different v's, how will the two radii compare?

phyzguy said:
You have an equation for the radius in terms of m, v, q, and B. The problem gives you m, v, and q. You don't know B, but you can assume that it is the same for all of them. So you should be able to determine the relative values of r for all of the particles. In other words, if two particles have the same m and q, but different v's, how will the two radii compare?
I got
Particle 1: 2R
Particle 2: R/2
Particle 3: R
Particle 4:8R
Particle 5:4R
Particle 6:-2R
Particle 7:-R/4
Particle 8:-R
Particle 9:-8R
Particle 10:-4R
Particle 11: --

But I can't tell if where the particles enter the semicircle tells whether or not the particle is negative/positive? And finding the radius finds the size of the semicircle right?

kilnvzol said:
But I can't tell if where the particles enter the semicircle tells whether or not the particle is negative/positive? And finding the radius finds the size of the particle right?

OK, this is a good start. Positive particle will curve in one direction, negative particles will curve in the other direction. You don't know B, so you don't know which is which, but do you see that some particles are circling clockwise and some circling counter-clockwise? Also, it is not true that the radius finds the "size" of the particle - the radius is determined by m, v, and q.

phyzguy said:
OK, this is a good start. Positive particle will curve in one direction, negative particles will curve in the other direction. You don't know B, so you don't know which is which, but do you see that some particles are circling clockwise and some circling counter-clockwise? Also, it is not true that the radius finds the "size" of the particle - the radius is determined by m, v, and q.
Since the smallest semicircle size is -R/4 particle 7 path d? So negative particles go clockwise and postive particles counter clockwise

kilnvzol said:
Since the smallest semicircle size is -R/4 particle 7 path d? So negative particles go clockwise and postive particles counter clockwise

Makes sense to me - keep going.

phyzguy said:
Makes sense to me - keep going.
Thank you so much! I got it :D

kilnvzol said:
Thank you so much! I got it :D

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

1. What is a particle roundabout?

A particle roundabout is a concept in physics where a group of particles are confined in a circular path and interact with each other through collisions or other forces.

2. How do I solve particle roundabout homework?

Solving particle roundabout homework involves understanding the concepts of circular motion, forces, and interactions between particles. It also requires the use of mathematical equations and problem-solving skills to analyze and solve the given scenario.

3. What are the important factors to consider when solving particle roundabout problems?

The important factors to consider when solving particle roundabout problems are the initial conditions of the particles (such as position, velocity, and mass), the forces acting on the particles, and the laws of physics that govern their motion.

4. Can you provide an example of a particle roundabout problem and its solution?

Sure, for example, if two particles with masses of 2kg and 5kg are placed at opposite ends of a circular path with a radius of 3m and are given initial velocities of 4m/s and 6m/s respectively, you can use the equations of circular motion and the law of conservation of momentum to calculate their final velocities and positions after a certain time, assuming no external forces are acting on them.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving particle roundabout problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving particle roundabout problems are using incorrect equations, not considering all the forces acting on the particles, and not using the correct units in calculations. It is also important to double-check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.