Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle self interference.

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    I was wondering to what extent we understand the self interference of particles in the double slit experiment. More specifically, I have heard that a single particle, acting as a wave can pass through both slits at once and that is what causes the interference. This explaination seems a bit fishy to me since it seems that if you just had two slits separated on the other side by a metal sheet you could split an electron or even a buckyball into two waves which should be impossible. What is actually known about what is going on with PSI?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 12, 2012 #3
    If you fire an electron at double slits which are separated on the back side, splitting in half is exactly what WILL happen to its wavefunction. However, when you go to actually measure which side the electron went to, you will find that it resides entirely in one or the other, with a 50/50 chance of being in each. It's the probability for the electron's position that splits in half, not its actual position.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook