Particle seperation by density using acceleration

In summary, the proposed method involves providing a constant force to particles and measuring their acceleration. By knowing the mass of the particles, you could determine their density.
kthakore
For a research assginment I was asked to research 0-g mining methods, and a new method suggested @ this site URL=http://www.tsgc.utexas.edu/floatn/1999/99_fall/teams/charleston.html]here I was wondering how this would work? and how Newton's law can be applied to it

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I would quibble with the use of the word "density" unless they're also screening for size. Remember Newton's Second Law - the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force on the object and inversely proportional to the mass. They propose providing a constant force for each particle - I haven't looked, but I would imagine it'll involve charging the particles and using an electric or magnetic field. In that case, the acceleration will depend entirely on the mass of the particle. Larger mass, lower acceleration. By measuring the acceleration of the particles, you could determine the mass. If you knew the size of the particles, then you could determine their density fairly easily.

All of this sounds rather like the way a mass spectrometer works. Look here:

http://www.jeol.com/ms/docs/whatisms.html

and here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_spectrometer

Briefly, a mass spectrometer takes the sample and turns it into an ionized gas. Remember - ions are charged. It then accelerates that gas using electric fields and dumps the resulting beam into a magnetic field. A charged particle moving through a magnetic field experiences a force perpendicular to the direction of its motion, which causes the particle to curve. The radius of curvature will be determined (all other things being equal) by the mass of the particle. You set up a detector plate somewhere where the particles will strike it after they've curved and you determine the mass of the particles by where they hit the detector.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the asteroids one would wish to mine would be metallic in nature, the miners would break it up into same peices, use magnetic fields to accelerate them. Am I getting it right so far? I understand it would separate the steel from unwanted material such as rock, but how would the collect it?

1. How does particle separation by density using acceleration work?

Particle separation by density using acceleration works by subjecting a mixture of particles to a centrifugal force, which causes the particles to move towards the outer edges of a rotating container. This force is dependent on the density of the particles, with denser particles moving towards the outer edges faster than less dense particles. This allows for the separation of different types of particles based on their density.

2. What are the applications of particle separation by density using acceleration?

Particle separation by density using acceleration has various applications in industries such as mining, pharmaceuticals, and environmental sciences. It is commonly used to separate mixtures of minerals, separate different types of cells in biological samples, and to purify and concentrate substances for analysis or production.

3. What factors can affect the efficiency of particle separation by density using acceleration?

The efficiency of particle separation by density using acceleration can be affected by several factors, such as the speed of rotation, the size and shape of the container, and the density and size of the particles. Additionally, the viscosity of the liquid medium and the presence of any impurities or contaminants in the mixture can also impact the separation process.

4. Is there a limit to the size of particles that can be separated using this method?

The size limit for particles that can be separated using particle separation by density using acceleration depends on the speed of rotation and the density difference between the particles. Generally, particles with a size range of 1-100 micrometers can be effectively separated using this method.

5. How does particle separation by density using acceleration compare to other separation techniques?

Particle separation by density using acceleration is a relatively fast and efficient method compared to other separation techniques such as filtration, sedimentation, and chromatography. It also does not require any specialized equipment and can be easily scaled up for large-scale industrial applications.