Exploring the Mysterious Particle Pair Phenomenon

In summary, the conversation is about Bill Bryson's mention of quantum entanglement in his book, and the speaker is asking for more information about the experiment mentioned. The response explains that quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where particles are connected and affect each other, even when separated. The speaker encourages further research on the topic, but also warns about unreliable sources. Some recommended sources for information on entanglement are Wikipedia and an article on the entanglement of 5 particles.
macd
Hi everyone
Thanks for taking the time to read my first post.
I was reading Bill Bryson's A short history of nearly everything (which may be like saying that I was reading cat in the hat in an english literature forum, but i shall see).
Unfortunately I don't have the book here, or i would make specific references, quotes and probably be able to research myself on the net easier.

Anyways he mentions particles (which kinds?) always being in pairs, matching and having opposite spins. That in an experiment in Europe, Germany as I remember, these particles were separated eight miles and when spun in an other direction the other particle spun in the opposite direction.

So sorry for such a vague question, but I'm hoping that the boffins here could shed a bit more light on said experiment, did it really happen, how did they do it, and most importantly where can i read more about this?

Thanks again for your time.
Mac

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What Bill Bryson is referring to is known as "Quantum Entanglement". You'll find lots more information using Google and there are plenty of threads in this forum devoted to entanglement.

As Hoot said, this is an example of quantum entanglement.

In a nutshell:

Particles in quantum mechanics are described by mathematical functions called "wave functions."

A system of particles will also be described by a wave function. In your case, the two particles, even though they move miles apart are still described by that same wave function, and that wave function dictates that the spin of each particle must be opposite to each other.

On a side note, I think it's a great idea for you to do some googling on the topic of entanglement, but, as I'm sure many people here agree, there are a lot of websites out there that really cannot be trusted with their usage of quantum mechanics. (I have even seen a website that tries to use quantum mechanics to justify astrology!:rolleyes:)

Wikipedia is usually a decent place to start, though you should remember that it is not the best source. It is nowhere near the worst though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

Here is another cool article on the entanglement of 5 particles! It also talks about applications of entanglement to quantum computing.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/19793

1. What is the Mysterious Particle Pair Phenomenon?

The Mysterious Particle Pair Phenomenon refers to the unexplained appearance of pairs of particles in certain experiments, where no known physical forces or interactions can account for their creation.

2. How is this phenomenon being explored?

Scientists are exploring this phenomenon through various experiments, such as colliding particles at high energies and studying the resulting particle pairs. They are also using advanced technologies, such as particle accelerators and detectors, to gather data and analyze the behavior of these particles.

3. What are some of the theories proposed to explain this phenomenon?

Some theories suggest that these particle pairs may be evidence of new fundamental particles or interactions that are not yet known to science. Others propose that it could be a result of quantum entanglement or the effects of dark matter.

4. Why is it important to study the Mysterious Particle Pair Phenomenon?

Studying this phenomenon can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics and help us better understand the nature of matter and the universe. It can also lead to advancements in technology, such as new energy sources and improved medical imaging techniques.

5. What are the potential implications of discovering the cause of this phenomenon?

If scientists are able to discover the cause of the Mysterious Particle Pair Phenomenon, it could potentially revolutionize our understanding of the universe and open up new possibilities for scientific advancements. It could also have practical applications, such as in developing new technologies and treatments for various diseases.