Understanding Particle Spin and Dimensional Restrictions

In summary, if a particle is decomposed by dimensional restriction, its spin may change. If the particle is decomposed into two parts in a two dimensional space, then the spin of the two parts would be half-integer. If the particle is decomposed into three parts in a three dimensional space, then the spin of the three parts would be 1/3 integer.
Spin_Network
What happens to a particles spin identity, if the particle is decomposed by dimensional restriction?

Does a specific dimension 'fix' a particle's spin?..if certain particles trancend from 4-D to 2-D, then what change occurs in the particles spin atributes, if any?

Is there a transitional spin cut-off at some finite dimensional level?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spin_Network said:
What happens to a particles spin identity, if the particle is decomposed by dimensional restriction?
Does a specific dimension 'fix' a particle's spin?..if certain particles trancend from 4-D to 2-D, then what change occurs in the particles spin atributes, if any?
Is there a transitional spin cut-off at some finite dimensional level?

Nobody knows the internal mechanism of how spin works, let alone how that
would work with less dimensions.

Most likely it would fail altogether since the fact that the total spin
angular momentum [itex]\sqrt{s(s+1)}\hbar[/itex] is more than the spin's z-component [itex]s\hbar[/itex]
needs at least 3 spatial dimensions.

What we know from spin, in relation with the x y and z axis stems basically
from measurements with concatenated Stern-Gerlach apparatus.
The (a) mathematical description found that works leads us to the Pauli matrices.

(Feynman's "Lectures on physics part III" and Sakurai's "Modern Quantum
mechanics")Regards, Hans

why does the particas spin represented by +1/2 and -1/2

Hans de Vries said:
Nobody knows the internal mechanism of how spin works, let alone how that
would work with less dimensions.

Most likely it would fail altogether since the fact that the total spin
angular momentum [itex]\sqrt{s(s+1)}\hbar[/itex] is more than the spin's z-component [itex]s\hbar[/itex]
needs at least 3 spatial dimensions.

What we know from spin, in relation with the x y and z axis stems basically
from measurements with concatenated Stern-Gerlach apparatus.
The (a) mathematical description found that works leads us to the Pauli matrices.

(Feynman's "Lectures on physics part III" and Sakurai's "Modern Quantum
mechanics")

Regards, Hans

Many thanks Hans.

If I give a specific situation for simplistic brevity, I have a 'spinning-top'
3-D of course and is following all the standard laws of spatial dimensional action-reactions. If I grab this top with both hands, it will translate some of its attributes(spin) to my hands, say friction the moment I connect?

Now what if I could grab it from say, a 2-D dimension?..as if it actually collided with my static 2-D hands that happen to be waiting in the 2-Dimensional wings so to speak?

Would say the frictional factor in spacetime, be translated to "other" by the inter-dimensional aspect?..or would there be evidence of some frictional aspect always present?

What I am asking is if "spin" is anhialated completely?

Spin_Network said:
Does a specific dimension 'fix' a particle's spin?
I do not exactly understand your question and your last comment, but may be this helps: Spin is intrinsic angular momentum and is therefore mathematically related to rotations. In three spatial dimensions the rotation group SO(3) has a double cover SU(2) from which two elements correspont to one of SO(3). This means that objects transforming under SO(3) need to rotate a 2π angle to make a complete rotation whereas objects transforming under SU(2) need 4π for a complete rotation. This makes possible that half-integer spins exist in three dimensions. However, for example, no triple cover of SO(3) exists, which would lead to 1/3 spins (three elements of the triple cover corresponding to one of SO(3)). If the number of spatial dimensions is different, this relation between SO(n) and its covering groups change. It would be a nice exercise to see how this generalizes. For example, for two dimensional spaces one may have indeed other fractional spins than half-integer. As far as I know this is called anyonic statistics. Thus, the fact that spin is related to rotations makes it dependent of the dimensionality of space you are considering.

hellfire said:
I do not exactly understand your question and your last comment, but may be this helps: Spin is intrinsic angular momentum and is therefore mathematically related to rotations. In three spatial dimensions the rotation group SO(3) has a double cover SU(2) from which two elements correspont to one of SO(3). This means that objects transforming under SO(3) need to rotate a 2π angle to make a complete rotation whereas objects transforming under SU(2) need 4π for a complete rotation. This makes possible that half-integer spins exist in three dimensions. However, for example, no triple cover of SO(3) exists, which would lead to 1/3 spins (three elements of the triple cover corresponding to one of SO(3)). If the number of spatial dimensions is different, this relation between SO(n) and its covering groups change. It would be a nice exercise to see how this generalizes. For example, for two dimensional spaces one may have indeed other fractional spins than half-integer. As far as I know this is called anyonic statistics. Thus, the fact that spin is related to rotations makes it dependent of the dimensionality of space you are considering.

Hellfire many thanks, after re-looking at my post it is quite obvious that I had worded it in such a abstract fashion, but...your response is exactly what I had been looking for, amazing!

I am quite lazy in my post fashion, but always hope there is someone outthere who looks a little further, the rotational factor is what I was aiming at,(already knew this but now understand it a great deal more)..my next inquiries are going to be "anyonic statistics"..thanks again.

hellfire said:

There is more than I need here:http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0511086

:biggrin:

1. What is particle spin and why is it important in physics?

Particle spin is an intrinsic property of elementary particles, describing their angular momentum and orientation in space. It is important in physics because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of matter and how particles interact with each other.

2. How is particle spin measured and what units are used?

Particle spin is measured using a property called spin quantum number, denoted by the symbol "s". The units used to measure spin are multiples of 1/2, such as 1/2, 1, 3/2, etc. These units are known as "spin values".

3. Can particles have half-integer spin values?

Yes, particles can have half-integer spin values. These are known as fermions, and they follow the rules of quantum mechanics. Examples of fermions include electrons, protons, and neutrons.

4. What are the dimensional restrictions on particle spin?

According to the Standard Model of particle physics, particles with spin values of 1 or higher must have at least three spatial dimensions. This means that particles with spin values of 1/2, 1, 3/2, etc. can exist in three-dimensional space, while particles with spin values of 0, 1, 2, etc. require more than three dimensions to exist.

5. How does particle spin affect the behavior of particles?

Particle spin plays a crucial role in determining the properties and behaviors of particles. For example, particles with half-integer spin values exhibit a phenomenon known as spin-statistics theorem, where identical particles with half-integer spin values cannot occupy the same quantum state, leading to the Pauli exclusion principle. Additionally, particle spin also affects how particles interact with electromagnetic and weak forces.