Particle swarm optimization

In summary, the conversation discusses a final year student's project on power system state estimation using particle swarm optimization (PSO). They are seeking guidance on how to start coding and understanding the PSO algorithm. Some suggestions are given, such as looking into Finite Point Analysis and creating a variable matrix. It is also mentioned that the project may be more suitable for a graduate research thesis. The student is also seeking help with running a selection from a group box using MATLAB and defining the current iteration in the PSO algorithm.
dawn j
I'm a final year student. My final project is about power system state estimation by using particle swarm optimization (PSO). I need to create a software based on PSO. Can somebody give me some brief idea on how to start the coding and guide me about the PSO thing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
dawn j said:
I'm a final year student. My final project is about power system state estimation by using particle swarm optimization (PSO). I need to create a software based on PSO. Can somebody give me some brief idea on how to start the coding and guide me about the PSO thing.

Welcome to the PF.

Since it is your project, can you start by telling us what you know about the subjects? What kind of power systems are involved? Why use PSO over other candidate methods?

Although "Particle Swarm Optimization" is the best title I have seen here for a while...It was new to me - as a greenhorn on the topic but got to love Wikipedia & Google, it did confirm some of what I pictured it was. I would look at Finite Point Analysis as a pure "starting point" since this computational modeling concept is so widespread. Traditionally in FPA the relationship ( interaction) from one point to another is fixed ( ignoring breakdowns) - from this framework, from here I would think to establish a Variable Matrix (vs the fixed above) to define the interactions. Also - from the outset - ALL particles - probably need a connection to all of the other particles ( yikes that's complex). It would also seem that the interaction / reaction matrix would be exceptionally high order .

The more I am thinking about this - as well as the typical PSO model relation I am reading up on regarding to AI or "truly" intelligent beings - it does seem a very complex approach to Power Systems...the better model may be a hybrid of FPA and pure PSO - - I work in power and was in robotics ( but not directly AI) for a good while - the pure PSO models seem too likely to resolve to oscillations in the system and be "happy" there - which would be a disaster in POWER situation.

Is this really a Senior ( Bachelors Degree) project? It really seems like a full graduate research thesis.

the project is related to power system analysis where the common way to calculate voltage or power by using Newton Raphson or Gauss Seidel method, but in my case, i need to use PSO instead of Newton and Gauss to get more accurate result and make it fast. The project will involve the IEEE 30 bus. I have found some MATLAB coding on the internet, but i fail to understand what is what.

Yes, it seems like PHD level of project, even my fellow panels said so. But, my project supervisor said otherwise. So, i need atleast a basic guide to understand the PSO itself.

I have never used PSO myself, but judging from the Wikipedia entry it seems to be a relatively short, simple algorithm. You just need a list of particles. Each particle can be represented as an object that contains a list of velocities with one entry per dimension. Wikipedia even gives some pseudo code, you just have to translate it into your programming language.

good day,

i want to run a selection from group box by using GUI in matlab... can somebody help me with the coding, the simplest one so that I can understand. Tq.

good day,
i want a suggestion whether this is correct or not. Okay, i analysed the weighting function for most of the PSO algorithm as shown below:

w= wmax-((wmax-wmin)/itermax)*iter

where iter is the current iteration.

what i want to know is how to define current iteration (iter), i tried this equation

k=1:itmax;
it=k;

it=current iterationis that correct?

Do u still need help?

Hi there,
Do you still need help for the PSO and its codes?

What is Particle Swarm Optimization?

Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) is a population-based optimization algorithm that is inspired by the social behavior of birds flocking or fish schooling. It is used to solve optimization problems by simulating the movement and cooperation of a group of particles in a multidimensional search space.

How does Particle Swarm Optimization work?

In PSO, a group of particles (potential solutions) is randomly initialized in the search space. Each particle has a position and velocity, and it updates its position based on its own best solution and the best solution found by the entire group. This process continues until a stopping criterion is met, and the best solution is considered the optimal solution to the problem.

What are the advantages of using Particle Swarm Optimization?

PSO is a simple and efficient algorithm that can handle continuous, discrete, and mixed optimization problems. It is also easy to implement and can find optimal solutions in a relatively short amount of time. Additionally, PSO does not require any derivative information, making it suitable for problems with complex or nonlinear objective functions.

What are the limitations of Particle Swarm Optimization?

PSO can get trapped in local optima, especially in high-dimensional search spaces. It also requires a large number of particles to be effective, which can make it computationally expensive for some problems. Furthermore, PSO does not provide any guarantees of finding the global optimal solution, unlike other optimization techniques.

How is Particle Swarm Optimization used in real-world applications?

PSO has been applied to various problems in different fields, such as engineering, finance, and data mining. Some examples include optimizing the placement of wireless sensor networks, tuning parameters in machine learning algorithms, and portfolio optimization in investment management. PSO has also been used in the design of neural networks and fuzzy systems.