Particle that moves in an electric and magnetic field

In summary, by using the equations Fb = Mg and q . V . B = mg, the conversation concludes that the magnetic field strength (B) is approximately 0.0233333 or 23 mT. However, there is also a force from the electric field that should be taken into account when calculating the force on a charged particle. The conversation also acknowledges a previous mistake made by the speaker and thanks the other person for pointing it out.
fight_club_alum
Homework Statement
A charged particle (m = 5.0 g, q = –70 μC) moves horizontally at a constant speed of
30 km/s in a region where the free fall gravitational acceleration is 9.8 m/s2 downward,
the electric field is 700 N/C upward, and the magnetic field is perpendicular to the
velocity of the particle. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field in this region?
a . 47 mT <-- answer
b. zero
c. 23 mT
d. 35 mT
e. 12 mT
Relevant Equations
F = ma
q . v . b . sin(theta) = F
m = 0.005
q = -70 x 10^-6 c
v = 30,000 m/s
Since there is no movement vertically Fb = Mg
So,
q . V . B = mg
So,
(70 x `10^-6) . (30,000) . B = (0.005) . (9.8)
So,
B = 0.0233333 or ~ 23 MT

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the force from the electric field?

Likes fight_club_alum
fight_club_alum said:
23 MT
Also:
You mean 23 mT. 23 MT is a humongous magnetic field strength...

Likes fight_club_alum
Thank you for replying
Can I please know how can I take it into account?

What is the force due to an electric field on a charged particle?

Likes fight_club_alum
Orodruin said:
What is the force due to an electric field on a charged particle?

It seems that I've been studying for so long now that I couldn't notice what I first learned in this course

Thank you so much for pointing out my obvious mistake

Sometimes you don’t see the forest because of all the trees...

Likes fight_club_alum

1. What is a particle that moves in an electric and magnetic field?

A particle that moves in an electric and magnetic field is known as a charged particle. It can either have a positive or negative charge, and it experiences both an electric force and a magnetic force as it moves through the field.

2. How does a particle's charge affect its motion in an electric and magnetic field?

A particle's charge determines the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic forces acting on it in the field. A positive charged particle will experience a force in the opposite direction of the field lines, while a negative charged particle will experience a force in the same direction as the field lines.

3. Can a particle's velocity affect its motion in an electric and magnetic field?

Yes, a particle's velocity plays a crucial role in its motion in an electric and magnetic field. The direction and magnitude of the velocity determine the direction and strength of the magnetic force acting on the particle.

4. What is the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields in which a particle is moving?

The electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other in a particle's motion. This means that the electric field lines are perpendicular to the magnetic field lines, and the two fields do not interact with each other.

5. How do electric and magnetic fields affect a particle's trajectory?

The electric and magnetic fields act together to determine the trajectory of a charged particle. The electric force causes the particle to accelerate in the direction of the electric field lines, while the magnetic force causes the particle to move in a circular path perpendicular to both the field lines and the particle's velocity.