Particle to Nuclear: Roll into Reactor Research?

In summary, the conversation discussed the options for employment for someone in the particle physics field, including medical physics, quant, and oil. It also considered the possibility of transitioning into nuclear engineering from particle physics, but mentioned the challenges of doing so. It was suggested that it may be easier to study nuclear engineering directly rather than trying to make the transition through a postdoc.
FortranMan
So after sitting down with an experimental particle physicist, he told me that your basic options for employment (if you are not competitive enough to stay in particle) are medical, quant, or oil. However I'm curious if it isn't easy to just roll into Nuclear Engineering from that field and work at a reactor, or are the things you need to know with a reactor completely different from what you would know with a detector? Is it easier to roll into that field from particle than condensed matter? Is possible to roll into a research group on reactors from an experimental particle background?

Physics news on Phys.org
Medical physics may have once been an option, but now in most states you'll need certification, which means a training program/masters in medical physics.

Anecdotally, I know a lot of high energy people (both theory and experiment) and don't know anyone who has made the transition into nuclear engineering. Using a postdoc to retrain might work, but postdocs are a competitive market, which makes it hard to land that transitional postdoc. If you want to go this route, your best bet is to start networking with the group you want to postdoc for as soon as possible.

All this begs the question- if you want to work in nuclear engineering, why not study that instead of high energy?

All this begs the question- if you want to work in nuclear engineering, why not study that instead of high energy?

It doesn't sound like he wants to work in nuclear engr per say. It seems he's curious about nuclear engr as a fall-back option, should his primary goals (academia?) not work out.

@the op: I can't really help you, but I do like how you say "roll into XXXX field". =]
I imagine it would be difficult to change fields via a post-doc as most fields are saturated with people who did PhDs in that field already... But I could be wrong.

1. What is particle to nuclear research?

Particle to nuclear research is a field of study that focuses on understanding the behavior and properties of subatomic particles and how they interact to form the nuclei of atoms. This research is important in developing a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and in developing new technologies, such as nuclear reactors.

2. Why is particle to nuclear research important?

Particle to nuclear research is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and the structure of matter. It also has practical applications, such as in energy production through nuclear reactors and in medical imaging and treatment through techniques like PET and MRI scans.

3. How does particle to nuclear research relate to nuclear reactors?

Particle to nuclear research is essential in the development and operation of nuclear reactors. This research helps us understand the behavior of subatomic particles within the reactor, which is necessary for maintaining control and safety. It also helps in the design and development of new and more efficient reactor technologies.

4. What are some current areas of research in particle to nuclear research?

Some current areas of research in particle to nuclear research include studying the properties and behavior of different types of particles, such as quarks and leptons, and their interactions with each other. Other areas of research include investigating the properties and behavior of nuclear matter and developing new technologies for nuclear energy production and medical applications.

5. How does particle to nuclear research impact society?

Particle to nuclear research has a significant impact on society in various ways. It has led to advancements in technology, such as nuclear energy and medical imaging, that have improved our quality of life. It also helps us better understand the universe and the laws that govern it, leading to a deeper understanding of our place in the world.