Particle trajectories

So you had ##2 + v_0 t##. But you said that the particle moves in a straight line, meaning the velocity vector is constant. So the velocity vector cannot change and therefore the acceleration vector must be collinear with the velocity vector. Therefore, the acceleration vector must be a scalar multiple of the velocity vector.
Bipolarity

Homework Statement

At time t = 0, a particle is located at the point (1, 2, 3). It travels
in a straight line to the point (4, 1,4), has speed 2 at (1, 2, 3) and
constant acceleration 3i - j + k. Find an equation for the position
vector r(t) of the particle at time t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If we integrate the acceleration vector twice, we get the position vector (along with some constants we must determine). Plugging in the initial position vector gives us

[tex] r(t) = <1.5t^{2},-.5t^{2},.5t^{2}> + v_{0}t + <1,2,3>[/tex]

The problem is I don't know how to find the initial velocity. That's all I need to complete the problem. I know the speed at time t=0, but not the velocity. I also know that the particle travels in a straight line, meaning its unit tangent vector is constant and that its motion is nonperiodic, but how does that help?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If we integrate the acceleration vector twice, we get the position vector (along with some constants we must determine). Plugging in the initial position vector gives us

The problem is I don't know how to find the initial velocity. That's all I need to complete the problem. I know the speed at time t=0, but not the velocity. I also know that the particle travels in a straight line, meaning its unit tangent vector is constant and that its motion is nonperiodic, but how does that help?

BiP

If a particle travels in a straight line, how are the velocity and acceleration vectors related?

RGV

Bipolarity said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

BiP

That equation doesn't make any sense because you can't add vectors and scalars. And remember you can always express a velocity vector as the speed times a unit vector in the correct direction.

LCKurtz said:
That equation doesn't make any sense because you can't add vectors and scalars. And remember you can always express a velocity vector as the speed times a unit vector in the correct direction.

Where in my equation did I add vectors with scalars? Every term in my equation is a position vector...

BiP

Bipolarity said:
the particle travels in a straight line, meaning its unit tangent vector is constant and that its motion is nonperiodic
If it travels in a straight line then its acceleration must always be collinear with the velocity.

Bipolarity said:

BiP

LCKurtz said:

Bipolarity said:
Where in my equation did I add vectors with scalars? Every term in my equation is a position vector...

BiP

Well, you mentioned that the initial speed was 2. Since there was no definition given for ##v_0## and it looks like a scalar, I assumed it was ##2##. And there is no notation to distinguish vectors from scalars, I assumed ##v_0 t## was a scalar.

1. What are particle trajectories?

Particle trajectories refer to the path or trajectory that a particle takes as it moves through space or a medium. This can include particles such as atoms, molecules, or subatomic particles.

2. How are particle trajectories studied?

Particle trajectories can be studied through various scientific methods such as particle accelerators, computer simulations, or through observations using specialized instruments.

3. What factors affect particle trajectories?

The trajectory of a particle can be affected by various factors including its initial velocity, the presence of external forces such as gravity or electromagnetic fields, and interactions with other particles or objects in its path.

4. Can particle trajectories be predicted?

In theory, particle trajectories can be predicted using mathematical models and equations that take into account the various factors affecting their motion. However, in practice, the complexity of particle interactions makes it difficult to accurately predict their trajectories.

5. How are particle trajectories relevant in different fields of science?

Particle trajectories have applications in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. They are used to study the behavior and properties of particles, as well as to understand and model physical phenomena such as fluid dynamics, chemical reactions, and biological processes.