Particle under central force in circular motion

In summary, the problem involves a particle moving under the influence of a central force, F_r(r) = − α r^−3. The potential energy function U(r) can be found using the equation U(r) = - integral F(r) dr. For Part B, the velocity vc can be determined using the equation v^2/r = (dU/dr), but it is unclear how to relate it to the given information. For Part C, the conservation of energy equation U + K = 0 can be used to calculate the time it will take for the particle to reach r = 0, but the kinetic energy K is unknown. Further assistance is needed to solve these parts of the problem.
steven09

Homework Statement

A particle moves under the influence of a central force, F_r(r) = − α r^−3. At time t = 0, the radius = r0 and the velocity = v0 as shown in the figure.
(A) Determine the potential energy function U(r).
(B) Determine the velocity vc such that the particle will move on the circle.
(C) Now suppose v0 = vc /2. The particle will spiral into the origin. Calculate the time it will take the particle to reach r = 0.

Homework Equations

U(r) = - integral F(r) dr

The Attempt at a Solution

I got U(r).

For my Part B) I don't know how to get velocity and Part C) how to get time. I think I might have to set ma=− α r^−3 but that doesn't seem right

Physics news on Phys.org
. For Part B) I think I need to use the equation v^2/r = (dU/dr) but I'm not sure how to relate it with the given information. For Part C) I think I need to use the conservation of energy U + K = 0, but I don't know how to get the kinetic energy K. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

1. What is a particle under central force in circular motion?

A particle under central force in circular motion refers to a physical system in which a single particle moves in a circular path around a fixed point, under the influence of a central force that acts towards or away from the center of the circle.

2. What is the equation of motion for a particle under central force in circular motion?

The equation of motion for a particle under central force in circular motion is given by: F = ma = mv2/r, where F represents the central force, m is the mass of the particle, a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the centripetal force in a particle under central force in circular motion?

The centripetal force in a particle under central force in circular motion is the force that acts towards the center of the circular path, keeping the particle in its circular motion. It is given by the equation Fc = mv2/r.

4. How does the centripetal force change with the radius of the circular path in a particle under central force in circular motion?

The centripetal force is inversely proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that as the radius increases, the centripetal force decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the equation Fc = mv2/r, where r is in the denominator.

5. What is the relationship between the centripetal force and the angular velocity in a particle under central force in circular motion?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the centripetal force also increases, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the equation Fc = mv2/r, where v is the linear velocity and is directly proportional to the angular velocity.