Particle Wavefunctions

First, the probabilities will be highest at r = 0 and decrease as r increases. This is because the wavefunction is an exponentially decreasing function and the square of the wavefunction will also decrease exponentially. So the probability will be highest where the function has the greatest value, which is at r = 0.
Haths
A particle is described by the normalised wavefunction;

[tex]
$ \psi (x,y,z) = Ae^{- \alpha ( x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2} ) }$
[/tex]

Find the probability that a particle is in a dr shell of space.

For what value of r is the probability of finding this particle greatest, and is this the same r value as;

[tex]
$ | \psi (x,y,z) |^{2} $
[/tex]

Right well. Having looked at the question baulked, then scratched my head to wonder how I could go about this question I have made the assumption that if wavefunction psi is converted into spherical polar co-ordinate co-ords and intergrated as a volume integral with limits: r+dr and r therefore r+dr - r gives the dr shell of probability.

Taking that line, the integral of the function becomes;

[tex]
$ \int_{r}^{r+dr} \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} Ae^{- \alpha r^{2} } \cdot r^{2} sin( \theta) d \theta d \phi dr$
[/tex]

Intergrating...

[tex]
$ \int_{r}^{r+dr} \int_{0}^{2 \pi} 2r^{2} Ae^{- \alpha r^{2} } d \phi dr$
[/tex]

[tex]
$ \int_{r}^{r+dr} 4r^{2} \pi Ae^{- \alpha r^{2} } dr$
[/tex]

Using intergration by parts at this stage...

[itex]
\frac{ \pi Ae^{ - \alpha r^{2} }} { - \alpha} - \frac{2 \pi Ae^{ - \alpha r^{2} }}{ \alpha^{2} r} |^{r+dr}_{r}
[/itex]

However try as I might I can't see a way to simplify this equation down to evaluate it for dr, hence perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree.

Secondly the second part of the question kind of confused me, because I thought that;

[tex]
\psi(x,y,z)
[/tex]

Having been called 'normalised' would mean that this is the square of the wavefunction already. Hence allowing for the intergration because it was in the form of;

[tex]
$ \int_{b}^{a}| \psi(x,y,z) |^{2} dxdydz = p$
[/tex]

where p here would be the probability for the particle to be in the shell bound by the two limits a and b.

This would lead me to conclude that there is no difference in the r value, mindyou the question to me appears to be wanting some difference because it asks to 'explain any differences', thus presupposing that there are some.

I would guess intuitively that when r is zero the probability is highest to find the particle, but my solution above doesn't show that explicitly. Hence I can't say that with confidence, even though it feels right as the wavefuntion is an exponentially decreasing spherical ripple in space. Perhaps my reading of the question is wrong. Eitherway I don't feel like I've completed this question sufficiently.

Haths

Physics news on Phys.org
First, because dr is an infinitesimal quantity, you don't need to integrate from r to r+dr - you just multiply the integrand by dr. So, for example, the volume of the shell at r is just
[tex]4\pi r^2 \mathrm{d}r[/tex]
Also, it looks like you integrated the wavefunction itself, whereas to find a probability you're supposed to integrate the square of the wavefunction:
[tex]\mathrm{d}P(r) = \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{2\pi} \left|\psi\right|^2 r^2 \sin\theta \mathrm{d}r\mathrm{d}\phi\mathrm{d}\theta = 4\pi \left|\psi\right|^2 r^2 \mathrm{d}r[/tex]
(the integral is over the angular variables)

A "normalized" wavefunction does not represent the "square of the wavefunction already" - it only means that the total probability sums up to 1, as it should:
[tex]\iiint \left|\psi\right|^2 r^2 \sin\theta\mathrm{d}r\mathrm{d}\theta\mathrm{d}\phi = 1[/tex]
You can do this integral to find the value that the constant A needs to take to make this relation true.

diazona said:
A "normalized" wavefunction does not represent the "square of the wavefunction already"

Cheers that statement has cleared up my doubts. Also yes a simple dr integral would achieve the same result which would save a lot of the complicated answer.

Haths

What is a particle wavefunction?

A particle wavefunction is a mathematical function used to describe the probability of finding a particle at a certain location in space. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is also known as a quantum state.

How is a particle wavefunction related to the behavior of particles?

The particle wavefunction is related to the behavior of particles through the principle of wave-particle duality. This principle states that particles, such as electrons and photons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors. The wavefunction describes the wave-like nature of particles and helps predict their behavior.

What is the Schrödinger equation and how does it relate to particle wavefunctions?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a particle's wavefunction. It relates the energy of a particle to its wavefunction and allows for the prediction of a particle's behavior over time. Without the Schrödinger equation, it would be impossible to accurately describe particle wavefunctions.

Can particle wavefunctions be observed?

No, particle wavefunctions cannot be observed directly. They are mathematical representations of a particle's probability of existing at a certain location. However, through experiments and observations, we can indirectly observe the effects of particle wavefunctions on the behavior of particles.

How do particle wavefunctions play a role in quantum computing?

Particle wavefunctions play a crucial role in quantum computing as they are used to represent the state of qubits, the basic units of information in a quantum computer. By manipulating and controlling the wavefunctions of qubits, quantum computers can perform complex calculations that are impossible for classical computers.