Why are fermion states anti-symmetric under exchange operator?

In summary, the state space of two identical/indistinguishable particles, ##L \otimes L##, has four mutually orthogonal states if the particles are distinguishable. However, for bosons, there are only three states, while for fermions, there is only one state due to the anti-symmetry of fermion states under the exchange operator. This concept is used to derive the Pauli exclusion principle in the book, and it is a fundamental law in particle physics, similar to other laws such as ##F = ma## and Coulomb's law.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Let ##L## be the state space of two identical/indistinguishable particles. Let ##L \otimes L## be the state space of the combined system formed by both particle.

If the particles were distinguishable, ##LxL## would have four mutually orthogonal states: ## |\phi\rangle|\phi\rangle, |\omega\rangle|\omega\rangle, |\phi\rangle|\omega\rangle, |\omega\rangle|\phi\rangle ##.

But, if the particles are bosons, we have actually three states: ## |\phi\rangle|\phi\rangle, |\omega\rangle|\omega\rangle, |\omega\rangle|\phi\rangle + |\phi\rangle|\omega\rangle##

My question is for the fermions case, the only state would be ## |\omega\rangle|\phi\rangle - |\phi\rangle|\omega\rangle##

But i can not understand why. (I think i understand the signal, it is because system of fermions are anti symmetric under exchange operator, right?)

OBS (This is being used in the book to introduce/derive the Pauli exclusion, so it is not a good idea to answer "because Pauli exclusion (...)")

Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
But i can not understand why. (I think i understand the signal, it is because system of fermions are anti symmetric under exchange operator, right?)
Yes. Witin QM the anti-symmetry of mutiple fermion states is taken as an axiom/law of nature. It can be derived within QFT.

Symmetry and anti-symmetry laws of nature tend to dominate particle physics. For example, it's local-gauge invariance (a form of symmetry requirement) that brings together charged particles and the electromagnetic field.

You should start to see these symmetry axioms in the same light at ##F = ma## and Coulomb's law etc. Fundamental laws that we take as a starting point.

Likes LCSphysicist

1. What are particles and combined systems?

Particles refer to small units of matter, such as atoms or subatomic particles, that make up larger structures. Combined systems are collections of particles that interact with each other in some way.

2. How do particles interact in a combined system?

Particles in a combined system can interact through various forces, such as electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear forces. These interactions can result in the formation of new structures or the transfer of energy.

3. What are some examples of combined systems?

Some examples of combined systems include molecules, atoms in a solid or liquid state, and even larger structures like planets and galaxies. Biological systems, such as cells and organisms, can also be considered combined systems.

4. How do scientists study particles and combined systems?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study particles and combined systems. This can include experiments, mathematical models, and computer simulations to understand the behavior and properties of these systems.

5. Why is understanding particles and combined systems important?

Understanding particles and combined systems is crucial for many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It allows us to explain and predict the behavior of matter and the natural world, and has practical applications in technology and medicine.