How do you find the maximum velocity of a particle using its first derivative?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum velocity of a particle, given its position at time t and the first and second derivatives of the position equation. The participant initially believed the maximum velocity to be 2, but after further discussion and using a graphing aid, they determined the correct answer to be 4π. They also discuss the use of graphing aids and the importance of understanding the behavior of trigonometric functions in order to solve the problem.
Swerting
The problem states that a particle's position at time t is given by the equation:
[tex]x(t)=2\pi t+cos(2\pi t)[/tex]
Therefore, the velocity of the particle at time t would be the first derivative of the above equation:
[tex]x'(t)=v(t)=2\pi-2\pi(sin(2\pi t))[/tex]
I was asked what the maximum velocity of the particle was, and was able to determine that it is 2, but that is only because I used a graphing aid. I am not quite sure where to start on how to find the maximum, other than know what the graph looks like in one's mind's eye, but that seems a little too extreme. I have also calculated the second derivative (acceleration of the particle) if it is needed:
[tex]x''(t)=a(t)=4\pi^2cos(2\pi t)[/tex]
I would show other attempt at work, but we really weren't shown how to do this.
But yes, we still have to do it.
Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The max of v isn't 2. Working this in your minds eye is a perfectly good way to do it. sin(2*pi*t) starts at 0 goes up to 1, goes down to -1, goes back to zero and then just keeps repeating. For which of those values is v a maximum?

Dick said:
The max of v isn't 2. Working this in your minds eye is a perfectly good way to do it. sin(2*pi*t) starts at 0 goes up to 1, goes down to -1, goes back to zero and then just keeps repeating. For which of those values is v a maximum?

hmmm...that does make sense. Thank you very much for your reply, i think the [tex]2\pi[/tex] outside the sine section of the function was confusing me.

Now that I have double checked my graphing aid again, i find that it gives me a completely different answer, something to the tune of 12...
now i am quite sure that you are correct! thank you again for the help, i appreciate it a lot.

Last edited:
You have [itex]x'= 2\pi - 2\pi sin(2\pi t)[/itex] and want to find its maximum value. Okay, forget about the fact that it is a first derivative and just think of maximizing [itex]y= 2\pi - 2\pi sin(2\pi t)[/itex]. [itex]y'= 4\pi^2 cos(2\pi t)= 0[/itex] when [itex]2\pi t= \pi/2[itex]. or when [itex]2\pi t= 3\pi/2[/itex]. When [itex]2\pi t= \pi/2[/itex] [itex]x'= y= 2\pi- 2\pi sin(\pi/2)= 0. When [itex]2\pi t= 3\pi/2[/itexs] [itex]x'= y= 2\pi- \2pi sin(3\pi/2)= 2\pi+ 2\pi= 4\pi[/itex]. The maximum value is [itex]4\pi[/itex].

1. What are particles and derivatives?

Particles and derivatives refer to the smallest units of matter and their respective transformations. Particles are the building blocks of all matter, while derivatives are the resulting forms of particles after undergoing certain changes or reactions.

2. How are particles and derivatives studied?

Particles and derivatives are studied through various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. These fields use different techniques such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and mathematical models to observe and analyze particles and their derivatives.

3. What are some examples of particles and derivatives?

Some examples of particles include atoms, protons, neutrons, and electrons. Derivatives can include compounds such as water and carbon dioxide, as well as more complex structures like proteins and DNA.

4. Why are particles and derivatives important to understand?

Particles and derivatives are essential to understanding the fundamental building blocks of our universe. They also play a crucial role in various natural processes and human-made technologies, making them important to study for advancements in science and technology.

5. How do particles and derivatives impact our daily lives?

Particles and derivatives have a significant impact on our daily lives, from the food we eat to the technology we use. Understanding them allows us to develop new materials, medicines, and technologies that improve our quality of life. They also play a crucial role in environmental issues such as pollution and climate change.