Particles & Fields: QM and Charged Particles

In summary, the question of whether charged particles create fields, fields create charged particles, or if they are considered one and the same is not a question of quantum mechanics, but rather a question of classical electromagnetic theory. In quantum field theory, the interaction between photon and electron fields allows for the exchange of particles. While charged particles cannot exist without their corresponding fields, fields can exist independently and propagate, such as in the case of light. This has led to the concept of fields being regarded as fundamental in the same way as matter.
Wizardsblade
I was wondering according to QM do charged particles creat fields, do fields create charged particles, or are they considered one in the same (not cause-effect)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is not a QM question, but rather a question of classic EM theory. Envolving QM into it does not make any difference. But as the two always appear together, and we can not create a single charged particle from vacuum and watch it creating fields, although I take fields as a effect of charged particles, I have no good reason to give you.

But in QFT, things changes a little. The basic thing is interaction photon and electron fields, so a electron created by a electron field interchanges photon, as an interaction, with other charged particles.

I hope this is in some sense of help. Happy new year:)

Wizardsblade said:
I
was wondering according to QM do charged particles creat fields, do fields create charged particles, or are they considered one in the same (not cause-effect)?

Hi,
This is an Egg-Chicken problem!
We define each one in terms of the other. However, charged particle can not detach itself from it's field (you cann't see a charged particle without it's field). But (here comes the important bit), field can detach itself from it's source and propagate independetly, i.e. you can see field without seeing it's source, and this what light is.
For this reason (independent physical existence), we came to regard the concept of field as fundamental as that of ordinary matter.

regards

sam

1. What is the difference between particles and fields in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles are treated as discrete units of matter or energy, while fields are continuous, pervasive quantities that permeate all of space. Particles are often described as excitations or disturbances in the underlying quantum fields.

2. How do charged particles interact with electromagnetic fields?

Charged particles interact with electromagnetic fields through the exchange of virtual particles known as photons. This interaction results in the particle experiencing a force, either attraction or repulsion, depending on the charge of the particle and the strength of the field.

3. What are the key principles of quantum mechanics?

The key principles of quantum mechanics include superposition, uncertainty, and wave-particle duality. Superposition states that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, uncertainty states that there is a fundamental limit to our ability to know the exact properties of a particle, and wave-particle duality states that particles exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

4. How are particles and fields represented in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles are represented by wave functions, which describe the probability of finding the particle in a particular location or state. Fields are represented by operators, which act on the wave function to determine the behavior of the particle in that field.

5. What is the role of symmetry in quantum mechanics?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics, as it helps to explain the fundamental laws and principles of the universe. In particular, symmetries such as translational and rotational symmetry, as well as gauge symmetries, are essential for understanding the behavior of particles and fields in quantum mechanics.