What Is the Final Velocity of a Particle Under a Time-Dependent Force?

In summary, a particle with mass m moves in one dimension and is initially at rest. It is later affected by a time-dependent force described by F(t) = F0*e^(-at), where F0 and a are constants. When t is large, the particle's velocity approaches a specific value, which can be determined by integrating the force equation and solving for velocity. This value is also determined by the initial condition at t=0, which is F0/ma.
Alex Wik

Homework Statement

A particle with the mass m moves in one dimension. It is in rest when t=0 and affects later after a by The time dependent force. F(t) =F0*e^(-at) where F0 and a is constants. When The time is really big The particels velocity get close to a spesific value. What is it?

Homework Equations

F(t) =F0*e^(-at)
I= delta(p)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have tried to take The intergrals of both sides. F(t) =F0*e^(-at)--> I (impulse) = integrals from 0 to infinite( F0*e^(-at) /-at) But later on I can not seem to be a solve this general intergrals. And then i need to solve The velocity from the impulse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I posted a wrong answer just a moment ago...

Do you know what is the integral of ∫ e^x dx ?

Phylosopher said:
Sorry, I posted a wrong answer just a moment ago...

Do you know what is the integral of ∫ e^x dx ?
Yes. It is e^x+C

Alex Wik said:
Yes. It is e^x+C

Very good. Now, what can you do for e^-at so that it looks more like e^x ?

Please do not post in boldface type.

Alex Wik said:

Homework Statement

A particle with the mass m moves in one dimension. It is in rest when t=0 and affects later after a by The time dependent force. F(t) =F0*e^(-at) where F0 and a is constants. When The time is really big The particels velocity get close to a spesific value. What is it? [/B]

Do you mean for both the ##a## values I put in red to be the same?

Homework Equations

F(t) =F0*e^(-at)
I= delta(p)
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

What is ##p##? What impulse?

I have tried to take The intergrals of both sides. F(t) =F0*e^(-at)--> I (impulse) = integrals from 0 to infinite( F0*e^(-at) /-at) But later on I can not seem to be a solve this general intergrals. And then i need to solve The velocity from the impulse.

LCKurtz said:
Please do not post in boldface type.
Now fixed in the OP.

Alex Wik said:
have tried to take The intergrals of both sides. F(t) =F0*e^(-at)--> I (impulse) = integrals from 0 to infinite( F0*e^(-at) /-at) But later on I can not seem to be a solve this general intergrals.
"Intergrals" is not a word -- the correct spelling is integrals.

Alex Wik said:
If I understand what you wrote, you said
$$\text{Impulse} = \int_0^\infty F(t)\,dt = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{F_0 e^{-at}}{-at}\,dt.$$ Is that what you meant?

Alex Wik said:
particle with the mass m moves in one dimension. It is in rest when t=0 and affects later after a by The time dependent force. F(t) =F0*e^(-at) where F0 and a is constants. When The time is really big The particels velocity get close to a spesific value. What is it?
v(t)=-F0/(ma)exp(-at)+c
for large t clearly v=c.
c can be determined from the boundary condition at t=0 which is F0/ma

1. What is the formula for calculating a particle's final velocity?

The formula for calculating a particle's final velocity is: v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How does the mass of a particle affect its final velocity?

The mass of a particle does not directly affect its final velocity. However, it can affect the acceleration of the particle, which in turn can impact the final velocity. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

3. Can a particle's final velocity be negative?

Yes, a particle's final velocity can be negative. A negative final velocity indicates that the particle is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

4. How does air resistance affect a particle's final velocity?

Air resistance can decrease a particle's final velocity. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the particle's motion, slowing it down. The amount of air resistance depends on the size, shape, and speed of the particle.

5. Is a particle's final velocity always equal to its initial velocity?

No, a particle's final velocity is not always equal to its initial velocity. This is because the particle may experience acceleration or deceleration due to external forces such as gravity or friction. However, if there are no external forces acting on the particle, its final velocity will be equal to its initial velocity.