Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particles from Blackhole

1. Nov 20, 2007 #1
    high energy photons are emitted from accretion disc of blackhole...are nuclear particles like electrons,protons also emitted in this process? are there any observation of particles emitted?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Well, current models typically contain such elements as collimated jets "fed" by an accretion disk which is "fed" by a torus of surrounding matter (perhaps drawn off a companion); see this artist's impression from the Chandra team (Astronomy, Harvard). I am not sure what you mean by "emitted by", but as I understand, collimated jets would probably contain ions ejected at high velocity from the vicinity of the hole.

For example, this paper assumes that electrons
    There are considerable differences between these models concerning the detailed physics in the various regions (torus, disk, jets), and also observational evidence of considerable variation in Nature. See also this, this, this, this, and this, for example. Accounting properly for all the energy and momentum is a major issue.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  4. Nov 21, 2007 #3
    Thank you...

5. Nov 22, 2007 #4
    if a particle was emited it would not be from the back because black holes dont have an end. but the stuff that they dont eat comes out in long arms out the side but even for the amount of time that rhe particles spend in the black hole, could thay have been worped by the radiation and the verge of nothing on the other side?

6. Nov 22, 2007 #5

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

athrax, were you previously spideyinspace?

Unfortunately, your post is incoherent so I don't think we'll be able to provide useful feedback except to correct misstatements like this:

Arms? Side? I haven't seen such terms used to discuss black holes so I don't know what you are referring to. (Is it possible that English is not your first language? If so, we can try to make allowances for that, and if you tell us your native language, we might even be able to better guess what English word you intended.)

Particles don't spend time in the black hole and then emerge, at least not according to classical gtr, at least not in the most plausible models of real black holes.

(I have recently discussed some caveats in other posts.)

Warped by radiation? If you are using standard terms in standard manner, no-one said that anything like that happens!

It sounds like you might have just gotten your first exposure to some popular physics writing--- if it was in New Scientist or some website, it might have been bad popular physics writing. At PF we can and do try to make allowances for the fact that when you don't understand T it can be hard to formulate a coherent question about T; in such cases, it can help to say "I am a high school student who has taken no physics and just read article A in magazine M, which said S, which I don't understand".

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?