Particles in electric fields

In summary: Then F=ma.In summary, a negatively charged sphere with a mass of 3.3x10^-15 kg and 6 excess electrons is held at rest between two parallel plates separated by 5.0mm and a potential difference of 170V. When the sphere loses one of its excess electrons, it experiences an initial acceleration of 1.6 ms^-2 downwards due to the net force of the electric and gravitational forces acting on its entire mass. Using Newton's 2nd Law, F=ma, the initial motion of the sphere can be described.
ishterz

Homework Statement

An negatively charged sphere of mass 3.3x10^-15 kg is held at rest b/w two parallel plates separated by 5.0mm when the potential difference between them is 170V. How many excess electrons are on the sphere?

B) The charged sphere suddenly loses one of its excess electrons. The p.d b/w the plates remains the same. Describe the initial motion of the sphere

Homework Equations

qv/d=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part (a) as 6 excess electrons. I equated the electric field to the weight found the charge and divided it by 1.6X10^-19.

However, I am having trouble with part (b) ; the answer given also gives the value initial acceleration. I tried finding the accerlation by F=ma but didn't get the answer.

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with the 6 electrons answer for part (a).
ishterz said:
... I am having trouble with part (b) ; the answer given also gives the value initial acceleration. I tried finding the accerlation by F=ma but didn't get the answer.
Your approach looks correct. Can you show in more detail what you did?

I tried finding the force due to the electric field:
170/.005 x 6 x 1.6X10^-19 (I did 6 because there were 6 excess electrons so that means there are 7 in total)

=3.264X10-14

Then I tried subtracting the weight of 6 electrons from it.
Weight = 9.1x10^-31 x 6 x 9.81

Resultant force = 3.260X10-14

Acceleration = 3.260X10-14/ (9.1 x 10^-31 X 6)
= 5.9 X 10^15

I doubt my method is right since the right answer is "the charged particle moves downwards with inital acceleration 1.6 ms^-2 "

I reckon maybe it has something to do with equations of uniform acceleration?

I'll try to clear up some problems with your method.
ishterz said:
I tried finding the force due to the electric field:
170/.005 x 6 x 1.6X10^-19 (I did 6 because there were 6 excess electrons so that means there are 7 in total)

=3.264X10-14
Well, I agree that is the force due to the electric field when there are 6 excess electrons. But how many excess electrons are left when, as the problem statement says, "the charged sphere suddenly loses one of its excess electrons"?

Then I tried subtracting the weight of 6 electrons from it.
Weight = 9.1x10^-31 x 6 x 9.81

Resultant force = 3.260X10-14
The gravitational force pulls down on the sphere's entire 3.3x10^-15 kg mass, not just the excess electrons.

Acceleration = 3.260X10-14/ (9.1 x 10^-31 X 6)
= 5.9 X 10^15

I doubt my method is right since the right answer is "the charged particle moves downwards with inital acceleration 1.6 ms^-2 "

I reckon maybe it has something to do with equations of uniform acceleration?
Judging from the answer given, it seems to be more of a Newton's 2nd Law, F=ma, type of problem. You just need to account for the two forces (electric and gravitational) properly, in order to find the net force F.

In part (a), you correctly calculated the number of excess electrons on the sphere by equating the electric force on the sphere to its weight. In part (b), since the potential difference between the plates remains the same, the electric field between the plates also remains the same. This means that the electric force on the sphere is still equal to its weight. However, since the sphere has now lost one excess electron, the electric force on the sphere will decrease by the charge of one electron (1.6x10^-19 C). This will result in a smaller net force on the sphere, leading to a smaller acceleration than before. You can use the equation F=ma to calculate the new acceleration, keeping in mind that the net force on the sphere is now the difference between its weight and the electric force. I hope this helps.

1. What is the role of electric fields in particles?

Electric fields play a crucial role in the behavior and movement of particles. When a charged particle is placed in an electric field, it experiences a force that causes it to move in a certain direction.

2. How are particles affected by electric fields?

The movement of particles in electric fields depends on the direction and strength of the electric field, as well as the charge and mass of the particle. Positively charged particles are attracted to the negative end of an electric field, while negatively charged particles are attracted to the positive end.

3. Can electric fields change the properties of particles?

Yes, electric fields can change the properties of particles. They can alter the speed and direction of particles, and in some cases, even split or combine particles. This is the basis of many technological applications such as particle accelerators and mass spectrometers.

4. How do particles interact with each other in electric fields?

Particles can interact with each other in electric fields through two main processes: attraction and repulsion. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract. This interaction is the basis for many fundamental forces in nature, such as the electromagnetic force.

5. What are some real-world applications of particles in electric fields?

Particles in electric fields have numerous applications in everyday life. They are used in electronic devices such as computers and smartphones, as well as in medical equipment like MRI machines. They also play a crucial role in energy production through technologies like solar cells and nuclear reactors.