1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particles in fluid

1. Mar 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I did an experiment to separate different sizes of starch particles (range of size 1 µm to 10 µm). I mixed the starch powder with water in a long cylinder. I have to create model by using long cylinder to separate those starch particles according to their size (<1µm, <5µm.,<10 µm) with fluid outlet for each sizes.

I use the Stoke's law to estimate the time of starch particle (for example for size 5 µm) left on top of the solution. but I have a problem on how to calculate/estimate the distance of 90% of 10µm starch particles in fluid (water) reach to the bottom of cylinder? and estimation of time for it to fall at the bottom. I figured out that I can use a Stoke's law but this equation could not use to estimate for how distance for 90% of 10 micrometer of starch particles reached the bottom of the cylinder.
    stokes_law_terminal_velocity.png

2. Relevant
    equations

By using the stoke's law I can estimate the time for <5 µm of starch particle left on the top.
    stokes_law_terminal_velocity.png

3. The attempt at a solution

Can I use the other relevant equation other than Stle's law to measure the distance of 90% 10µm starch travel until reach the bottom of cylinder?
    I tried to use the equation

d=Vi(t)+(0.5*a*t2)
    but I think this equation is not relevant to my case.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Mar 29, 2017 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could start with a very simple model which assumes that the particles all fall separately from each other and that the particles reach terminal velocity almost immediately on entering the water .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted