Particles' Energy Loss: Atom's Fate in an Expanding Universe

In summary, the number of atoms generally decreases over time and eventually all atoms will have decayed into photons and leptons. After aproximately ##10^{40}##- ##10^{65}## years, black holes will make up most of the matter in the universe. There will be essentially no atoms left after that.
hagar
Gold Member
I do not know what area of the forum my question belongs in and I am not sure how to phrase it correctly so it will be understandable but I will do my best.

At some point in time will the energy of all particles deteriorate to nothing (assuming an expanding universe) and if so how will it affect atoms ? With the forces gone will they disintegrate.

Respectfully,
Hagar

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hagar said:
At some point in time will the energy of all particles deteriorate to nothing

No. The locally measured energies of particles, and objects made of particles (like atoms), are unaffected by the expansion of the universe.

It's important to understand that objects bound together by the fundamental forces do not undergo expansion. Expansion works on the scales of galaxy clusters and larger because gravity's strength between most galaxy clusters is not enough to counteract expansion. At this scale gravity is the only force at work because the other fundamental forces are either too short ranged or are neutralized by an equal number of charges.

Thank you for the answers.

I see my first error was referring to the expansion of the universe so I will try again. Will atoms always be created or will the universe ever run out of particles to make them.

Respectfully,
Hagar

Last edited:
hagar said:
Will atoms always be created or will the universe ever run out of particles to make them.

Unknown. If proton decay doesn't occur then the universe will have atoms forever. However, if proton decay does occur, everything will eventually decay into photons and leptons (electron-type particles). But this would occur on a timescale of about 1040 years. For comparison, the current age of the universe is only 1.37x107 years old, so we're talking about a process that would place roughly about a 1000 billion, billion, billion, billion, billion years from now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_an_expanding_universe#Nucleons_start_to_decay

Thank you !

That is exactly the answer I was searching for !
Also, thanks to both of you for the lesson on expansion. I gained a bit of knowledge from that as well and the link you gave is quite interesting.
With a time frame like that it sounds just like tomorrow. :-)

Respectfully,
Hagar

Last edited:
hagar said:
Thank you for the answers.

I see my first error was referring to the expansion of the universe so I will try again. Will atoms always be created or will the universe ever run out of particles to make them.

Respectfully,
Hagar
The number of atoms generally decreases over time. Stars gradually combine hydrogen and helium into heavier elements, and the hydrogen and helium are not replenished. Some atoms also fall into black holes. This is an inconsequential number to date, but after somewhere between ##10^{40}## and ##10^{65}## years (depending upon the rate of proton decay), black holes will make up most of the matter in our universe. After that, there will be essentially no atoms left.

The Wikipedia article linked by Drakkith above is well worth a read if you're interested in what the universe will look like many trillions of years from now and beyond.

Thank you Chalnoth and yes, I will read it through. I have already read a part of it and I intend to finish. I read a good bit from Wikipedia but there is so much information I do not know where to start so it is always good to ask specific questions from those such as yourselves who can supply an exact link to the item in question.

Respectfully,
Hagar

1. What causes particles to lose energy in an expanding universe?

Particles lose energy in an expanding universe due to the expansion of space itself. As the universe expands, the distance between particles increases, causing them to lose energy and cool down.

2. How does energy loss affect the fate of atoms in an expanding universe?

The energy loss of particles can impact the fate of atoms in an expanding universe. As particles lose energy, they also cool down and can eventually form atoms. However, if the universe continues to expand and cool down, these atoms may eventually break apart as well.

3. Can energy loss be reversed in an expanding universe?

No, energy loss in an expanding universe cannot be reversed. The expansion of space is a fundamental property of the universe and cannot be reversed. However, particles can gain energy through interactions with other particles or through processes such as nuclear fusion.

4. How does the rate of expansion affect energy loss in particles?

The rate of expansion does not directly affect energy loss in particles. However, a faster rate of expansion can lead to a larger distance between particles, which can result in more energy loss.

5. Are there any particles that do not lose energy in an expanding universe?

No, all particles will experience some level of energy loss in an expanding universe. However, the amount of energy loss may vary depending on the properties of the particle and the rate of expansion.