Particular environment LaTeX help

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter juef
  • Start date
Hey all!

I'm trying to learn [tex]\LaTeX[/tex], and so far I'm doing fine. However, I would like to know if it is possible to be able to find out if a particular environment is in use at a certain point. Basically, I was wondering if something like:

\isInUse{math}

exists in LaTeX. Does anyone know?

Thank you all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

why not:

[tex]sin (math)[/tex]

?

Mattara said:
why not:

[tex]sin (math)[/tex]

?
Hmmm... I don't think I understand how this command can help me finding out if the math environment is in use or not...

I've never heard of such a thing. I don't really see a need for it. Why would you need something like that?

I don't think any of us know what you're asking for, its not clear in the least. Are you talking about so you can tell if an environment is in use in a certain area while you're editing? Or are you talking about during compilation?

You're right, perhaps that was not very clear. I want to be able to tell if an environment is in use in a certain area during compilation. Something that may return a boolean, to be used with some other package (I believe there is a if-then package or something like that... right?).

juef said:
You're right, perhaps that was not very clear. I want to be able to tell if an environment is in use in a certain area during compilation. Something that may return a boolean, to be used with some other package (I believe there is a if-then package or something like that... right?).

As far as I know, the answer would be no, but there are a lot of custom home-made packages I'm not aware of. What are you trying to do that you would use this for?

Call me lazy, but I'd like to make a new command to quickly display a norm, something like \newnorm{x+y} (to display [tex]\|x+y\|[/tex]), whether I'm in the math environment or not.

J77
You can run latex "interactively" which will give you the verbose on what classes you're using - possibly also style files???

However, style files are loaded from the preamble (\usepackage{}) - so you should be able to see from your tex file...

juef said:
Call me lazy, but I'd like to make a new command to quickly display a norm, something like \newnorm{x+y} (to display [tex]\|x+y\|[/tex]), whether I'm in the math environment or not.

use \ensuremath{}

Thats what I use to set up macros to use in text. Something like

\newcommand{\Msun}{\ensuremath{M_\odot}}

Then I can use \Msun anywhere, in text or math environment and its automatically typeset as math.

franznietzsche said:
use \ensuremath{}

Thats what I use to set up macros to use in text.
:!!) Exactly what I needed! Thank you!

juef said:
:!!) Exactly what I needed! Thank you!

Welcome .