1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particular integral problem

1. Jan 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to find a particular integral to the differential equation on the attatched image, but I come up with two slightly different answers depending on the method I use. I suspect the problem (if it's not just me being very thick and making a silly algebra error) is the way arctan is defined but I can't see what I should do differently in either solution.

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? You give just the answers and they look identical to me!
  4. Jan 9, 2007 #3
    One has a plus thi one has a minus thi for some reason.
  5. Jan 9, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I think you mean phi, [tex]\phi[/tex]
    I havent read the question, I probably wouldn't understand it, but perhaps Halls was giving a hint that its equal to zero?
  6. Jan 10, 2007 #5
    My mistake sorry, meant phi. I think phi's only going to be zero in a special case, for most values of a,b,c,w it's going to be non-zero.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? The second version is the one that works in the differential equation but I still can't see why the first one doesn't.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?