Solving for Particular Integral in Differential Equations: Arctan Definition

• Thread starter Zell2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the speaker is having trouble finding a particular integral to a differential equation. They have two different answers and suspect the issue may be due to the definition of arctan. They are unsure of what to do differently in each solution and are seeking help from others. The speaker also clarifies a mistake in their previous message.
Zell2

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find a particular integral to the differential equation on the attatched image, but I come up with two slightly different answers depending on the method I use. I suspect the problem (if it's not just me being very thick and making a silly algebra error) is the way arctan is defined but I can't see what I should do differently in either solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attatched.

Thanks

Attachments

• untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
?? You give just the answers and they look identical to me!

One has a plus thi one has a minus thi for some reason.

I think you mean phi, [tex]\phi[/tex]
I haven't read the question, I probably wouldn't understand it, but perhaps Halls was giving a hint that its equal to zero?

My mistake sorry, meant phi. I think phi's only going to be zero in a special case, for most values of a,b,c,w it's going to be non-zero.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? The second version is the one that works in the differential equation but I still can't see why the first one doesn't.
Thanks

Last edited:

1. What is a particular integral?

A particular integral is a solution to a non-homogeneous differential equation. It is a specific solution that satisfies both the original equation and any initial or boundary conditions.

2. Why is finding a particular integral important?

Finding a particular integral is important because it allows us to solve non-homogeneous differential equations, which are commonly used in many fields of science and engineering to model real-world phenomena. Without a particular integral, we would only have the general solution to the equation, which may not accurately represent the behavior of the system.

3. How do you find a particular integral?

There are several methods for finding a particular integral, such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. The method used depends on the form of the non-homogeneous term in the differential equation.

4. Can a particular integral be unique?

No, a particular integral is not always unique. In some cases, there may be multiple solutions that satisfy the equation and initial or boundary conditions. However, the general solution will always include all possible particular integrals.

5. What is the relationship between particular integrals and complementary functions?

A general solution to a non-homogeneous differential equation is the sum of a particular integral and the complementary function, which is the solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation. The particular integral accounts for the non-homogeneous term, while the complementary function represents the solution to the homogeneous equation, which is the solution when the non-homogeneous term is equal to zero.