1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particular solution to cosine

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Q'' + 100Q' +50000Q = 4000cos(100t)
    i found the general solution to be e-50t[Acos(50sqrt19)t +Bsin(50sqrt19)t]

but i have a problem with the particular solution

i tried Cei100t

did i try the wrong expression? because when i compared coefficients, i found C=4000/40000 = 0.1
    but the answer given by my lecturer is 16/170 cos100t + 4/170sin100t

idon't understand where the sin term comes from? when i try Cei100t, i should be getting just the cosine terms right? since my target is 4000cos100t. so how come there's a sin term?

help appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, this isn't the general solution. It looks more like the solution to the homogeneous problem, namely Q'' + 100Q' + 50000Q = 0. I didn't check your solution, but you can by making sure that it satisfies Q'' + 100Q' + 50000Q = 0.

BTW, the t factor should be inside the parentheses: e.g., Acos(50sqrt(19)t)
    For reasons too long to go into here, I would recommend that you try a particular solution of yp = Ccos(100t) + Dsin(100t).

4. Mar 25, 2010 #3
    oh. i always thought that was called the general solution? where you let the characteristic equation = 0

oh my mistake, t should be in the brackets yes

thats the problem. i don't understand. in another question, y'' +4y = cos2x. i could try Z = Ae2ix, so that the real part would just be cos2x and i discard the imaginary part

so why in this case i have to use Acosx + Bsinx ? also, how do i know when i have to use this instead of Z = Ae2ix?

many thanks!

5. Mar 25, 2010 #4

Mark44

The general solution consists of two parts: the solution to the homogeneous problem + the particular solution.

For your second question, you're making two mistakes.
    1. In the homogeneous equation (y'' + 4y = 0), the characteristic equation has two solutions - r = 2i and r = -2i. Rather than have a homogeneous solution of y = Ae2ix + Be-2ix, it's much easier to use y = Acos(2x) + Bsin(2x).
    2. Since the nonhomogeneous equation is y'' + 4y = cos(2x), a particular solution involving e2ix or e-2ix isn't going to work. When a function is a solution of the homogeneous problem, it can't also be a solution of the corresponding nonhomogeneous problem.

For your particular solution, try y = Cxcos(2x) + Dxsin(2x).

6. Mar 25, 2010 #5
    ah i see... so as long as i see cosx or sinx, i should use Ccosx+Dsinx? when i see tan i should use method of variation of parameters?

i went to look through my lecturer's notes again, and i realise what he did was to introduce a imaginary part in the exact same format as the real part

i.e , if it was y" + y' + 4y = cosx
    he introduced a iv" + iv' +4iv = isinx

then he combine to get z = y + iv. so he says y = Re(Z).
    and he trys eix or something like this

so his method would work also?

but if i use Ccosx+Dsinx, i don't have to worry about imaginary or real parts right?

7. Mar 27, 2010 #6

Mark44

Yes, both methods work, but if you use the method I described, you don't have to be concerned with the imaginary parts.

8. Mar 27, 2010 #7
    ah i see! thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook