1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partition Coefficient

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What exactly does partition coefficient tell us? if I have a low partition coefficient, does that mean its less soluble in that compound?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I had .0555g Benzoic acid mixed with water and methylene chloride. It formed two layers of which BA (Benzoic acid) is dissolved in water or methylene chloride. I pippeted out the methylene chloride and heated it, and there is .011g of BA in the vial. I got a partition coefficient of around .25. Does this mean that BA is more soluable in water since .0445g of BA was still in water?

But this doesn't make sense because when I looked it up, it says BA is more soluble in methylene chloride.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I guess you are confusing intensive and extensive properties. You have not mentioned volumes - what they were?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook