Partition function and heat capacity

Your Name]In summary, the first question asks for an exact expression for the heat capacity of a system with two energy levels, E1 and E2, with non-degenerate states. The partition function can be written as Z = 1 + e^(-βE). In the second question, the system has three energy levels with degeneracies of 1, 2, and 1, respectively. This means that we cannot simply let E1 = 0, and the partition function must be written as Z = 1 + 2e^(-βE) + e^(-β3E).
quietrain

Homework Statement

QN1. A system consists of N weakly interacting subsystems. Each subsystem possesses only two energy levels E1and E2, each of them non-degenerate. Obtain an exact expression for the heat capacity of the system.

QN2. A system possesses three energy levels E1 =E , E2 = 2E and E3 = 3E, with degeneracies g (E1 ) = g(E3) = 1, g(E2) = 2. Find the heat capacity of the system.

The Attempt at a Solution

when solving the partition function Z for these questions , why is it that for the first question, i can let E1 to be = 0 and hence E2 = E

but for the 2nd question, i can't let E1 = 0 even though the ans says i can? is the ans a mistake?

since:

qn1: Z = e-BE1+e-BE2 = 1+e-BE

so my question is, why for question 2, Z must be like the following
Z= e-BE+2e-2BE+e-3BE

and why i cannot let E1=0 which gives
Z= 1+2e-BE+e-2BE

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. In order to obtain an exact expression for the heat capacity, we need to consider the number of possible energy states for each subsystem. In the first question, each subsystem has only two energy levels, hence we can let E1 = 0 and E2 = E. This means that the two energy levels have degeneracies of 1 and 1, respectively. Therefore, the partition function can be written as Z = 1 + e^(-βE).

In the second question, we have three energy levels with degeneracies of 1, 2, and 1, respectively. This means that there are two possible states for the second energy level, and hence we cannot simply let E1 = 0. Instead, we need to consider all possible combinations of energy levels, which leads to the partition function Z = 1 + 2e^(-βE) + e^(-β2E) = 1 + 2e^(-βE) + e^(-β3E).

I hope this helps to clarify the difference between the two questions. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is the partition function in thermodynamics?

The partition function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the probability of a system existing in a particular state. It is a sum over all possible states of the system, taking into account the energy and entropy of each state.

2. How is the partition function related to the thermodynamic properties of a system?

The partition function allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its internal energy, entropy, and free energy. These properties are related to the partition function through mathematical equations.

3. What is the significance of the partition function in understanding heat capacity?

The partition function is used to calculate the heat capacity of a system, which is a measure of how much the temperature of the system changes in response to a given amount of heat. It helps us understand the energy distribution and behavior of particles within the system.

4. How does the partition function change with temperature?

The partition function is directly proportional to temperature, meaning that as the temperature increases, the partition function also increases. This is because as the temperature rises, more energy levels become accessible to the particles in the system, resulting in a higher number of possible states.

5. Can the partition function be used for both classical and quantum systems?

Yes, the partition function can be used for both classical and quantum systems. In classical systems, the partition function is calculated using Boltzmann statistics, while in quantum systems, it is calculated using Bose-Einstein or Fermi-Dirac statistics, depending on the type of particles in the system.