Is there a closed-form formula for the Partition Function p(n)?

In summary, there are several generator functions for the Partition Function p(n), but it is uncertain if a closed-form formula exists for this function. Some sources suggest a recursive formula, while others argue for a more simplified algebraic formula. However, it is still unclear if there is a true closed-form expression for p(n) that meets all criteria.
Izzhov
I am aware that there are several generator functions for the Partition Function p(n), but does anyone know if a closed form formula exists for this function?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A000041 has a recursive formula:
[tex]p(n) = \frac1n\cdot\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\sigma(n-k)\cdot p(k)[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but I put the words "closed-form" in italics for a reason.

...unless I'm mistaken on the definition of "closed-form." Which is quite possible.

So tell us what you mean by closed form. (No sigma, no recursion, only +-*/?)

I read the page you linked to, but I didn't see a definition.

"[A closed-form formula is] a single arithmetic formula obtained to simplify an infinite sum in a general formula." -Wikipedia
Basically, what you said. No infinite sums, recursion, etcetera.

Izzhov said:
"[A closed-form formula is] a single arithmetic formula obtained to simplify an infinite sum in a general formula." -Wikipedia

That doesn't tell me what it is at all. Further, I don't see what closed form formulas have to do with infinite sums.

CRGreathouse said:
That doesn't tell me what it is at all. Further, I don't see what closed form formulas have to do with infinite sums.
A closed-form formula is when you take a formula with an infinite sum, such as
[tex]
s = \sum_{k=0}^\infty ar^k
[/tex]
and simplify it to an algebraic formula, which in this case would be
[tex]
s = \frac{a}{1 - r}
[/tex]
(Assuming, in this case, that r < 1.)
Understand?

Wait, but that has an infinite sum in it! That doesn't really count. :/

Sure it counts. Just as the closed form for, say, sin(x) = x - x^3/3! + x^5/5! - ...

Perhaps the real question is, what do you want the closed form for? If you want to calculate values exactly, use the recurrence formula. To approximate it, use the asymptotic formula. But I assume you need the closed form for some other reason.

This Wikipedia article on closed-form expressions is probably the one you're looking for, rather than the one Izzhov linked.

I wouldn't consider either of lrs5's examples to be in closed form, because both contain infinite sums.

So I take it there actually is no closed-form expression then?

Izzhov said:
A closed-form formula is when you take a formula with an infinite sum, such as
[tex]
s = \sum_{k=0}^\infty ar^k
[/tex]
and simplify it to an algebraic formula, which in this case would be
[tex]
s = \frac{a}{1 - r}
[/tex]
(Assuming, in this case, that r < 1.)
Understand?

In other words, you mean that the infinite series can/will converge.

Not just converge, but converge to something that can be expressed with finitely many elementary operations (whatever they may be).

Couldnt we define a closed formula p(n) over a set of functions (for example the elementary functions, or maybe only the functions f(x)=x, f(x)=c) combined with a certain set of operations (for example ^*/-+) as a formula whose number of terms (functions):
1) is not infinite
2) is not depending on n.

Kurret said:
Couldnt we define a closed formula p(n) over a set of functions (for example the elementary functions, or maybe only the functions f(x)=x, f(x)=c) combined with a certain set of operations (for example ^*/-+) as a formula whose number of terms (functions):
1) is not infinite
2) is not depending on n.

I'd prefer to define it symbolically, perhaps with a context-free grammar:

F -> 0
F -> 1
F -> n
F -> -F
F -> F[tex]^{-1}[/tex]
F -> (F)+(F)
F -> (F)*(F)
F -> (F)^(F)

I don't see how that's closed form, since the number of terms depends on n, and is thus unbounded.

Izzhov said:
I go by the Wikipedia definition.

Too bad this guy doesn't come around anymore... I was just starting to like him!

But seriously, forks.

I do NOT know of a closed-form equation.

1. What is the Partition Function p(n)?

The Partition Function p(n) is a mathematical function that counts the number of ways a positive integer n can be expressed as a sum of positive integers, without regard to order. It is denoted as p(n) or P(n).

2. How is the Partition Function p(n) related to number theory?

The Partition Function p(n) is closely related to number theory, specifically the study of integer partitions. It has applications in areas such as combinatorics, algebra, and modular forms.

3. Can the Partition Function p(n) be calculated for large values of n?

Yes, the Partition Function p(n) can be calculated for values of n up to several hundred. However, as n increases, the computation becomes more complex and time-consuming. For very large values of n, approximations and asymptotic methods are used.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the Partition Function p(n)?

Yes, the Partition Function p(n) has practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze systems with a large number of particles, such as gases and solids, and in the study of prime numbers.

5. Are there any open research problems related to the Partition Function p(n)?

Yes, there are several open research problems related to the Partition Function p(n). These include finding closed-form expressions for p(n), determining the behavior of p(n) as n approaches infinity, and investigating connections between p(n) and other mathematical functions.