1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partition function to find expected occupancy of a lattice defect

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An impurity can be occupied by 0, 1 or 2 electrons. The impurity orbital in non-degenerate, except for the choice of electron spin. The energy of the impurity level is [itex]\epsilon[/itex], but to place the second electron on the site requires an additional energy [itex]\delta \epsilon[/itex].

Calculate the expected number of electrons <N> at the site as a function of [itex]\epsilon, \delta \epsilon[/itex] and the temperature T and the chemical potential [itex]\mu[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    The expected number of electrons is given by:
    <N> = [itex]\Sigma n_{i}*p_{i} [/itex]
    Where i iterates the possible states and pi is the probability of the ith state.
    [itex]p_{i} = \frac{e^{-\beta(\epsilon_{i}-\mu)*n_{i}}}{Z}[/itex]
    Where Z is the partition function.
    Alternatively, the expected number of electrons may be calculated by:
    <N>= [itex]\frac{1}{\beta} \frac{\partial}{\partial \mu} ln(Z)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm unsure of the best way to approach forming the partition function. I am also unsure of the second method to calculate the expected occupancy. I've seen it done that way as well as:
    [itex]-\frac{1}{\beta} \frac{\partial}{\partial \epsilon} ln(Z)[/itex]
    My latest attempt was to write the partition function as follows:
    [itex]Z = 1 +e^{-\beta(\epsilon_{1} -\mu)} + e^{-\beta(\epsilon_{2} -\mu)2}[/itex]
    Where [itex]\epsilon_{1} = \epsilon[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{2} = \epsilon +\delta \epsilon [/itex]
    And then use the first method given to find the expected number of electrons.
    <N> = [itex]\frac{e^{-\beta(\epsilon -\mu)}+2e^{-\beta(\epsilon +\delta \epsilon -\mu)2}}{1+e^{-\beta(\epsilon_{1} -\mu)} + e^{-\beta(\epsilon_{2} -\mu)2}} [/itex]

This is all well and good, but I took a look at the limiting behavior and my result does not match my expectations. I would expect that as the temperature increased N would approach two and as it decreased, <N> would approach zero. Yet, the limit as [itex]\beta[/itex] approaches zero (increasing temperature) is one rather than two.

All advice would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted