Partition Function in Torres-Hernandez "Photon Mass" 1984

In summary, the paper "Photon mass and blackbody radiation" by Jose Torres-Hernandez, published in 1984, discusses the use of the partition function to calculate the average energy of a blackbody system. The author uses the formula lnZ = λ∑e^-βε_l to represent the partition function, and then changes the summation to an integration in order to approximate the number of modes in a certain range of energies. The exact definition of n(ε) in the paper is unknown, as the original paper is not accessible. This paper may be helpful in understanding the concept of partition function and its application in calculating average energy.
sayebms
in the paper written by Jose Torres-Hernandez in 1984 titled as : "Photon mass and blackbody radiation" in the first page he writes for the partition function:

[itex] lnZ=λ \sum_{normal modes} e^{-βε_l} [/itex] = [itex] \frac{-λπ}{2} \int_{ε_0}^∞ n^2 ln(1-e^{-βε}) \frac{dn}{dε}dε[/itex]

i really don't understand how he changes the summation to the integration here, and why the integration is not inside the [itex]ln[/itex] .In 2 days i have to prepare a summary of this paper so any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, I would write "Z = ..." instead of "lnZ = ..." .
See the definition of the partition function.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_function_(statistical_mechanics )

The next step would be to find out what is the exact definition of n(ε) in the paper.
I guess dn represents the somehow number of modes in the range of energies dε .
This allows an approximation of the sum by an integral.

I do not have access to the original paper.
Therefore, I can't be more precise.

Last edited by a moderator:
first of all id like to thank you for taking time to answer my question. I have attached the 1st page of the original paper. well here we are dealing with lnZ since, later to find the average energy we have to take partial derivative of lnZ with respect to β.

Attachments

• New Doc 6.pdf
    642.3 KB · Views: 250

1. What is the Partition Function in Torres-Hernandez "Photon Mass" 1984?

The Partition Function in Torres-Hernandez "Photon Mass" 1984 is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to calculate the average energy and other thermodynamic properties of a system of particles. It takes into account the number of particles in different energy states and their respective probabilities.

2. How is the Partition Function calculated in Torres-Hernandez "Photon Mass" 1984?

The Partition Function in Torres-Hernandez "Photon Mass" 1984 is calculated by summing over all possible energy states of the system, taking into account the Boltzmann factor, which is proportional to the inverse temperature of the system. This calculation is essential in determining the equilibrium state of a system.

3. What is the significance of the Partition Function in statistical mechanics?

The Partition Function plays a crucial role in statistical mechanics as it allows for the calculation of various thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its internal energy, entropy, and free energy. It also provides a link between the microscopic properties of individual particles and the macroscopic properties of the system as a whole.

4. How does the Partition Function relate to the "Photon Mass" theory proposed by Torres-Hernandez?

In the "Photon Mass" theory proposed by Torres-Hernandez, the Partition Function is used to calculate the energy states of photons, taking into account their effective mass. This theory suggests that photons may have a tiny but nonzero mass, which could have significant implications in various fields, including cosmology and particle physics.

5. What are some current research developments related to the Partition Function in Torres-Hernandez "Photon Mass" 1984?

Some current research developments related to the Partition Function in Torres-Hernandez "Photon Mass" 1984 include further studies on the possible existence of photon mass and its potential consequences, as well as applications of the theory in various fields, such as astrophysics and quantum optics. Additionally, there is ongoing research on refining the calculations and predictions made by the theory using more advanced techniques and data.