Partition of Integer need advice

In summary, we want to show that the number of partitions of n within Z+ where no summand is divisible by 4 is equal to the number of partitions of n where no even summand is repeated. We can express this using two partition functions, P1(x) and P2(x), and our goal is to show that P1(x) = P2(x). We can start by noticing that any partition with a multiple of four can be transformed into a partition with repeated evens, and vice versa. However, this does not necessarily mean that each partition has a unique corresponding partition of the other type. This presents a challenge in proving the equality of P1(x) and P2(x), but it is a good starting
phoenixy
The Q is: show that the number of partitions of n within Z+ where no summand is divisible by 4 equals the number of partitions of n where no even summand is repeated

Here is what I got so far
Let the partition where no summand is divisible by 4 be P1(x)
Let the partition where no even summand is repeated be P2(x)

My goal is to show that P1(x) = P2(x)

P1(x) = (1+x+x^2 ... )(1+x^2+x^4 ... )(1+x^3+x^6 ...)(1+x^5+x^10 ...)...
(skip x^4, x^8, ... etc.)

P1(x) = [ let i go from 1 to infinity, the products of ( 1 / (1-x^i) ) ] /
[ let i go from 1 to infinity, the prodcuts of ( 1 / (1-x^(4i) )

P2(x) = [ (1+x^2)(1+x^4) ... ][ (1+x+x^2 ...)(1+x^3+x^6) ... ]

P2(x) = [ let i go from 1 to infinity,the products of ( 1 + x^(2i) ) ] *
[ let i go from 1 to infinity, the products of ( 1 / (1-x^(2i-1)) )

So are my equations correct? If so, how do I solve them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine finding a 1-1 correspondence between the two types of partitions might be easier.

As a start (but just a start, it's definitely not perfect) notice that any partition that has a multiple of four in it can be expressed as a partition that has a repeated integer. Starting with P1, a partition with multiples of 4 in it, simply replace all multiples of fours with two of their halfs, and you get P2, a parition with repeated evens. This is true because any multiple of four is in the form 2 x 2 x k for some k in N. We can clearly replace 2 x 2 x k with two of 2 x k, making 2 x k repeated, and it should be pretty clear that 2 x k is even. However, there are problems. For example, if we have P1 = {4,2,2}, then the corresponding P2 = {2,2,2,2} If we have P1 = {4,4}, the corresponding P2 = {2,2,2,2}, the same as before. This means that for each P1, there exist a P2, but that P2 is not necessarily unique to that P1. If it were, then we could nicely say that if we consider the set of all partitions, the set formed by removing all partitions with multiples of four has the same number of partitions as the set formed by removing all paritions with repeated evens, because for each partition with a multiple of four we remove, we remove one unique parition of the other type. However, this isn't true. You'll have to work around this problem; I'll think about it but this should give you a start.

What is the partition of an integer?

The partition of an integer refers to the process of breaking down a positive integer into smaller, positive integers that add up to the original number. For example, the partitions of 4 are 4, 3+1, 2+2, 2+1+1, and 1+1+1+1.

Why is the partition of an integer important?

The partition of an integer is important in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in number theory, combinatorics, and probability. It also has practical applications in areas such as computer science, specifically in the analysis of algorithms and data structures.

What is the difference between a restricted and unrestricted partition of an integer?

A restricted partition of an integer only allows for the use of certain smaller integers, whereas an unrestricted partition allows for any positive integer to be used. For example, the unrestricted partitions of 4 are 4, 3+1, 2+2, 2+1+1, and 1+1+1+1, while the restricted partitions using only odd numbers are 3+1 and 1+1+1+1.

How can the partition of an integer be used in real-world scenarios?

The partition of an integer has practical applications in various fields, such as in finance for portfolio optimization, in genetics for analyzing genetic diversity, and in physics for studying particle interactions. It can also be used in everyday life, such as in dividing a set of objects into groups or in creating different combinations of ingredients for a recipe.

Are there any efficient algorithms for finding the partitions of an integer?

Yes, there are several efficient algorithms for finding the partitions of an integer, such as the Hardy-Ramanujan-Rademacher formula and the Pentagonal number theorem. These algorithms are important for understanding the properties and patterns of partitions, and for solving related problems in various fields of mathematics and science.