Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parts of a photon

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1
    I've been looking at the parts of a photon as it moves at the speed of light and how this affects the photon it's self. I have encountered a few things such as the need for the photon to start spinning as it moves through gravitational fields ECT. But I have recently found 2 things that are very odd that I wanted to ask about.
    First off the bat is the fact that at two different points in a photon, one behind the other relative to the velocity of the photon, the point behind the other will observe the one in front of it moving at the speed of light due to the time dilation. But then does this imply that the time dilation is slightly less then the absolute of experiencing no time and therefore that light does not travel at the "maximum speed in the universe".
    I was also wondering whether if you were a photon whether or not you would ever be able to view yourself reach light speed because of the time dilation and whether or not this means that there is room for acceleration?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

What parts of a photon? Can you give us a reference to a standard textbook or peer-reviewed physics journal article that talks about "parts of a photon"?
  4. Apr 15, 2007 #3
    No I cannot give you reference to a text that refers to it because I was trying to come up with a unique point of view of the speed of light in the hopes that it might resolve or give insight to the quantum world from relativities perspective. I can only say that I have read a lot about photons simply not on this subject.
    However in reference to what I was talking about I define parts of a photon as different points contained in a photon. And talking about the perspective from these points if that makes any sense.
  5. Apr 15, 2007 #4

Gold Member

It doesn't make sense in terms of any theory I've heard of.

Have you studied the classical or quantum theory of the electromagnetic field ? Dirac's theory of the electron and the EM field is fully relativistic.

There are several threads in this forum about photons, have a browse through them.
  6. Apr 15, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please read our site policies regarding personal theories.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?