Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Party tricks

1. Aug 8, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Any one know of some good party tricks?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Take two identical coins and lay them on the table between you and your fellow party-person. Tell them that you are going to turn around so you can't see what they do, and they are to take one coin and hold it on their forehead while they count to 10 out loud. They put the coin back in its original position.

You then turn around, pick up the coins, one in each hand, conjure for a bit, and then show them which one they counted with. Usually good for a few puzzled looks and amazement!

4. Aug 8, 2008 #3
    The Joker's "disappearing pencil" trick from The Dark Knight is always good for a few laughs.

5. Aug 8, 2008 #4
    My friend Lewis likes to open glass beer bottles with his teeth :) It's always interesting waiting for him to break a tooth.

6. Aug 8, 2008 #5
  7. Aug 8, 2008 #6

Evo

When I was little, everyone carried a cloth handkerchief.

My mother taught me a trick that I used to marvel the younger children.

In the hem of the handkerchief, you would push a wooden matchstick/toothpick into the center of the hem. Then holding the handkerchief in front of everyone and asking them to touch it and admit that it was empty, you would then roll, (starting at the tip of the hankie) either a toothpick or wooden match stick, up until the handkechief was a cylinder. You would then have everyone watching feel it to confirm that the whole matchstick was there. You would then break the matchstick in two, have everyone feel it and confirm it was broken. Then you would unroll the handkerchief and produce the unbroken matchstick to everyone's amazement.

Of course what you broke was the hidden matchstick you had previously concealed in the hem.

Lame by today's standard, but a great trick then.

8. Aug 9, 2008 #7
    If you want to practice your angles a little bit you can do the David Blaine levitation (Baladucci levitation?) pretty easily. Stand with your back to whoever is watching. Put your feet together with your right foot a few inches forward. then go up on your tippie toes on your right foot and lift your left foot off the floor keeping it parallel to the floor. your left leg and left foot conceal the toes of your right foot and it looks like you levitate. Just don't stay up for more than a second or two and don't repeat the trick because they will figure it out.

9. Aug 10, 2008 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A mean trick that results in your friends wasting their beer when they try to duplicate your feet with a full bottle of beer instead of a partially full bottle of water.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  10. Aug 10, 2008 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

11. Aug 10, 2008 #10
  12. Aug 10, 2008 #11
    What I want to see is someone duplicate their feet. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  13. Aug 24, 2008 #12

Borek

14. Aug 24, 2008 #13

wolram

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?