1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pass/Fail Grading System

1. Mar 27, 2007 #1
    Hey everyone, I've got a bit of a question. I'm an Electrical Engineering major, in my second year. So I decided that it would be a fun challenge to take an upper division History class as an elective, and I'm taking it pass/fail (pass being >75%, fail being <75%). But, between other classes and a new internship, my grades in this class are beginning to slip. I was just wondering - how bad will an N (or "not satisfactory" = <75%) look when applying for a job/grad school? Thank you! Obviously I'm going to work my butt off to get the grade, but I just like to know the consequences of all possibly outcomes...anyways. Off to study.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2007 #2
    If you fail, generally you can try to make it up again and have the failing grade crossed off your record. Check with your school office though.
  4. Mar 27, 2007 #3
    At my school, if you fail even if you retake the class and get an A that F is forever on your record mocking you every time you look at your transcripts :)

So don't fail the class if anything, drop it.
  5. Mar 27, 2007 #4
    possibly drop the class? but you should go speak with your teacher, in person rather than via email if possible. Explain your situation, see if there's anything you can do to raise your grade, let him know you care and don't intend to fail, show him you are putting some effort into the class ( so go to classes, participate, turn in all your work even if it isn't top quality because you have been bogged down) don't give him the idea that you don't care about the class
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?