Pass/Fail Grading System: Impact on Job and Grad School Applications

• Thread starter pete5383
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, a student is an Electrical Engineering major who decided to take an upper division History class as an elective. However, with other classes and a new internship, their grades in the elective are beginning to slip. They are concerned about how a failing grade will look when applying for jobs or grad school. They are planning to work hard to avoid failing and possibly drop the class. They are also considering speaking to the teacher about their situation and trying to improve their grade.
pete5383
Hey everyone, I've got a bit of a question. I'm an Electrical Engineering major, in my second year. So I decided that it would be a fun challenge to take an upper division History class as an elective, and I'm taking it pass/fail (pass being >75%, fail being <75%). But, between other classes and a new internship, my grades in this class are beginning to slip. I was just wondering - how bad will an N (or "not satisfactory" = <75%) look when applying for a job/grad school? Thank you! Obviously I'm going to work my butt off to get the grade, but I just like to know the consequences of all possibly outcomes...anyways. Off to study.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you fail, generally you can try to make it up again and have the failing grade crossed off your record. Check with your school office though.

At my school, if you fail even if you retake the class and get an A that F is forever on your record mocking you every time you look at your transcripts :)

So don't fail the class if anything, drop it.

possibly drop the class? but you should go speak with your teacher, in person rather than via email if possible. Explain your situation, see if there's anything you can do to raise your grade, let him know you care and don't intend to fail, show him you are putting some effort into the class ( so go to classes, participate, turn in all your work even if it isn't top quality because you have been bogged down) don't give him the idea that you don't care about the class

1. What is a "Pass/Fail Grading System"?

A "Pass/Fail Grading System" is a method of evaluating student performance in which a student either receives a passing grade or a failing grade, rather than a traditional letter or numerical grade. Typically, a passing grade is considered to be equivalent to a C or higher, while a failing grade is equivalent to a D or lower.

2. What are the benefits of a Pass/Fail Grading System?

There are several potential benefits of a Pass/Fail Grading System. One of the main benefits is that it reduces competition and pressure among students, as everyone is working towards the same goal of passing rather than trying to achieve the highest grade. It also allows for a more holistic evaluation of a student's performance, rather than just focusing on their grades. Additionally, it can encourage students to take more challenging courses without fear of negatively impacting their GPA.

3. Are there any drawbacks to a Pass/Fail Grading System?

While there are potential benefits, there are also some drawbacks to a Pass/Fail Grading System. One of the main concerns is that it may not accurately reflect a student's level of understanding in a subject, as a passing grade is considered to be equivalent to a C or higher. This can make it difficult for graduate schools or employers to assess a student's academic performance. Additionally, some students may feel that a Pass/Fail system is less motivating and may not push themselves to achieve their full potential.

4. How does a Pass/Fail Grading System differ from a traditional grading system?

In a traditional grading system, students are evaluated based on their performance on assignments, exams, and participation, and receive a numerical or letter grade that reflects their level of achievement. In a Pass/Fail Grading System, students are only evaluated as either passing or failing, without any specific grade or score attached. This system also typically does not calculate a GPA or class rank.

5. Is a Pass/Fail Grading System used in all schools?

No, a Pass/Fail Grading System is not used in all schools. It is more commonly used in higher education institutions, such as colleges and universities, rather than in primary or secondary schools. Some schools may also offer the option for students to take certain courses as Pass/Fail, while others may use it as the primary grading system for all courses.