Noise on Passenger Jets: Surprising to Sleep-Seeking Flyers

In summary, the noise on passenger jets is produced by wind noise, passenger noise, engine noise, and metal fatigue.
stoned
what are all that noises on passenger jets when flying with full load of passengers ? I thought it going to be really quiet on board but there is so much noise that one can't hardly sleep on board.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ummm...wind noise, passenger noise, engine noise...Can you be a bit more specific? Can you describe the noise a bit?

Smaller aircraft tend to be a bit louder because they can not separate the cabin from the engines as effectively as would be hoped. Also, the smaller the aircraft is weight becomes more of a dictator in what can be added to the structure. To help keep weight down, noise proofing is kept to a minimum.

with like 200+ people on board all the machinery required to keep air fresh etc. must make a lot of noise, I wonder how quiet is if i were the only passenger on let's say airbus a 340?

Almost all of my flying experience was in small manually operated planes. The few times that I was in Airbuses or L1011's several years ago, I was amazed by how much control-surface actuator vibration is transferred through the structure. I could feel the flaps dropping into place through the seat. I always tried to sit just behind the wing, though, so that I could watch things working. Maybe it doesn't travel much farther than that.
It still beats the first commercial plane that I was in—a Vickers Viscount. There was about 1mm of free play in the rivets, so we could see the wing plates hopping up and down. I've since been told that it's a deliberate design feature involving stress relief, but I can't help thinking that it must cause some seriously accelerated metal fatigue. Fred?

stoned said:
with like 200+ people on board all the machinery required to keep air fresh etc. must make a lot of noise, I wonder how quiet is if i were the only passenger on let's say airbus a 340?

It would most likely be the same.

Danger said:
Almost all of my flying experience was in small manually operated planes. The few times that I was in Airbuses or L1011's several years ago, I was amazed by how much control-surface actuator vibration is transferred through the structure. I could feel the flaps dropping into place through the seat. I always tried to sit just behind the wing, though, so that I could watch things working. Maybe it doesn't travel much farther than that.
It still beats the first commercial plane that I was in—a Vickers Viscount. There was about 1mm of free play in the rivets, so we could see the wing plates hopping up and down. I've since been told that it's a deliberate design feature involving stress relief, but I can't help thinking that it must cause some seriously accelerated metal fatigue. Fred?
The Viscount?? Holly molley are you dating yourself there Danger! I can't honestly say that I had ever heard that, especially on wing panels. The aero guys would have conniption fits over something like that. I'll have to research that one and get bak to you.

FredGarvin said:
The Viscount?? Holly molley are you dating yourself there Danger!
It was in '66, the first summer after moving to Ontario. We were coming back to Calgary for vacation, and the Windsor airport couldn't handle jets at that time. We had to rattle our way to Winnipeg before transferring to a DC9. That was the first time that I'd been in a plane and, believe it or not, it just reinforced my desire to be a pilot. (Probably based upon some perverse desire to inflict that same physical hardship upon other people myself. :devil: )

1. What causes noise on passenger jets?

Noise on passenger jets is primarily caused by the engine, which produces a loud and constant hum during flight. Other sources of noise can include air turbulence, air conditioning systems, and the movement of passengers and crew.

2. How loud is the noise on passenger jets?

The noise level on passenger jets can vary depending on the specific aircraft and the flight conditions. On average, the noise level inside the cabin can range from 70-80 decibels, which is similar to the noise level of a busy street or a vacuum cleaner.

3. How does noise on passenger jets affect sleep?

The noise on passenger jets can significantly disrupt sleep for some individuals. The constant hum of the engine and other noises can make it difficult for people to fall asleep and can also cause frequent awakenings during the flight. This is especially true for light sleepers or those who are sensitive to noise.

4. Are there any ways to reduce noise on passenger jets?

Airlines have implemented various measures to reduce noise on passenger jets, such as using newer and quieter aircraft, installing noise-cancelling headphones, and providing earplugs to passengers. Some airlines also have designated quiet zones on their planes for passengers who are seeking a more peaceful flight.

5. Can exposure to noise on passenger jets have any long-term effects?

Studies have shown that exposure to high levels of noise can have negative effects on one's health, including increased stress levels and potential hearing damage. However, the noise level on passenger jets is generally not high enough to cause long-term effects. It is still recommended to use earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones to protect against any potential hearing damage.